Newbie Q : Tools

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
magruder

Newbie Q : Tools

Post by magruder »

Hi,
I want to get a pimo pre bored block to start my first pipe.
What tools should I use/obtain to remove and shape the wood ?
I have a Dremel, but that is it.
Also, can one reshape the prefitted stems and perhaps open up the bit, etc.?
Any and all comments welcome.
TIA
Magruder
jeff

Post by jeff »

I made my first 5 pipes with nothing more than a dremel, sandpaper, and a hand drill w/ buffing wheels. You should do just fine with those for the first one. In fact, you could even nix the drill if you don't have one and just use a mini-buff on the dremel. The finish will be fine for a first pipe. Good luck and make sure you post your results.

Jeff
ClaytonClaw

Post by ClaytonClaw »

I'd advice you to buy the wax set from pimo while you're at it. It's pretty cheap, and I have no idea at what store one could find carnauba wax.

Good luck with your pipe. I finished my first pipe a couple of days ago and have allready ordered a new block.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Magruder,

Welcome to the forums!

With a Dremel you are in pretty good shape for a first pipe. I did my first pipe (also a Pimo kit) with hand files, and a little time with a borrowed Dremel.

You can even, as Jeff mentioned, buff with the small buffing wheels for the Dremel. I won't look like a Bang with the Dremel buffs, but it will be OK.

Getting a chunk of Carnauba is a good idea when you order the kit. Also some stain would be good to get from Pimo. If you want to use a drill to buff, you can get the buffing wheels and compounds from Pimo as well.

Have fun! :)

Tyler
magruder

Post by magruder »

Many grateful thanx to all for great suggestions and kind support.
Best to all,
Magruder
jeff

Post by jeff »

Random,

There are several inherent problems in buffing with a dremel and this size wheel. First, simply by the nature of the dremel, it is difficult to acheive and maintain the proper speed. Rotary tools such as these spin at high speeds to accomplish their goals, but these high speeds are counterproductive when utilized for a sensitive process like buffing. Now, while many dremels, my own included, have adjustable speeds, it is still difficult to dial in to and maintain the required rate. Add to that the low horsepower of the little dremel motor and low speed required for buffing in contrast to the load put on the motor by the buffing process and you'll have a pretty miserable time trying to get the same shine as a Bang, or any other glossy high-grade for that matter.

Second, the dremel-sized buffing wheels are so small that they cover little area (as Pooka mentioned) and carry very little compound. This makes buffing a long and tedious process.

I'm only sharing this because I started out buffing with a dremel. After my first effort with a larger wheel powered by a hand drill, I could never go back. The difference measurably better. Incidentally, I experienced the same thing when I moved to 8" buffs powered by a motor with greater speed consistency and load tolerance.

So, that said, Dremels are great for buffing if you have nothing else or if this is just a fun hobby for you, but if you want to produce a sellable product above, say, $100 it might be time to graduate to a more consistent and uniformly accepted method of application.

That's all I have

Jeff