Turning Tool Plans

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
5277a124

Turning Tool Plans

Post by 5277a124 »

I read several posts regarding recommendations for turning tools. Trying to combine the good ideas of all, this is what I think I might purchase. Anyone see anything on the list that's absolutely unnecessary, or anything essential that I'm missing?

1/4” Fingernail (bowl) gouge
½” Skew
¾” Skew
1/16” Parting tool
1/2” Spindle gouge with a fingernail grind
3/8” Spindle gouge

Thanks again,

Jeff
taharris

Re: Turning Tool Plans

Post by taharris »

It depends on what you want to do with your lathe.

If you only intend to turn pipes, then you don't need that many tools.
If you intend to turn other things as well (bowls, boxes, pens, etc.) then you probably don't have enough tools listed.

The thing is, a lot of turning tools can be used in different ways depending on the technique you use and your skill level.

I would say the bare necessity for pipe making is:

1/2" bowl gouge or spindle gouge depending on which you like. I tend to use a bowl gouge.

1/2" or 3/4" skew. (Used for making tenons). If you put a radius grind on the skew then there is probably no reason for a spindle gouge with a fingernail grind.

1/16" or 1/8" parting tool. (The 1/8" may be a little more versatile).

Start with this and then add tools as you identify a need.

Also, if you want to make other stuff like bowls and boxes you will want square and round nosed scrappers.

Todd
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I've got a drawer full of turning tools, but use a 1/8" parting tool and a big, heavy (3/4"?) straight scraper for stummels almost exclusively, and add a smaller scraper that I ground to sort of a parabolic curve for stems. I'd start with fewer tools and perfect your sharpening. In a turned pipe you're looking at a bulldog or billiard or poker or some slight variant. There's not a lot of ornamental turning like a recorder or a chair leg, just one good curve.
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Thanks for the simple advice. Honestly, I've never even turned on a lathe, but want to have some tools ready so that I can do something besides watching the spindle spin when my lathe arrives in July. One other question after looking more at the woodcraft site. When people say skews, do they mean the rounded skews, or angled one? Todd, I noticed that you said I could radius grind a skew. Is it better to just buy a rounded one in the first place? Lastly, Are Sorby and Woodriver good brands? Thanks again.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

Sorby is a good name if you've got the coin. The tool I use the most is a big, heavy straight scraper that I bought on ebay planning to make something else out of it so I didn't care how cheap it was -- Benjamin's Best, I think. Cost about $20, works just fine when sharp, doesn't seem to get dull appreciably faster than the turning tools I paid $60 for at the woodworking store. I'm down with the whole "buy the best once" thing, but I'd say not to blow your budget on turning tools. When the lathe arrives you're going to have plenty to do twirling the handles. :D
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wood River, Woodcraft's "house" brand that used to be named Pinnacle, is also good choice for budget conscious folks. By and large the steel seems to be heat treated correctly, and they last a good long time between sharpening.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Jeff,

Sorry for the delayed response. You can buy a skew with a radius grind or one with a square grind. You can turn one into the other if you have the right grinder set up.

If you have no experience turning you are going to be frustrated when you get your lathe and want to start turning pipes.

I strongly recommend that you take a couple of turning classes at your local Woodcraft and join the Woodturners Resource forum at http://www.woodturnersresource.com/. It is filled with very knowledgeable people that are very willing to help. Also the forum contains a video section with lots of good turning videos that you can learn from.

PM me with additional questions. I will help out any way I can.

Todd
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Todd,

Your advice is well received. There is a woodcraft in my neighboring county, so lessons are possible I think. I'm sure it would be good to get some basics down and some practice on some wood other than the precious briar. I have a machinist friend who will help me zero the lathe and the basics, but he's used to turning metal parts and not pipes. I'm sure that some of the skills are transferable, but others may not be. Thanks also for that link on the woodturners. As I progress in my research, I may shortly take you up on your PM offer. Thanks also for the details on the skew.

Cheers,

Jeff