My second billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
W.Pastuch

My second billiard

Post by W.Pastuch »

I finished this one today, it's my second attempt at a billiard and my 18th pipe in total. I think I see where it could be improved, I hope the next one will be better.
Let me know what you think :)
wdteipen

Re: My second billiard

Post by wdteipen »

Not too bad. I really like the stain and finish. The front of the bowl needs refining to match the back of the bowl. The bowl on a billiard should be widest approximately 2/3 of the way down and taper slightly to the rim. Too much rounding and you have an egg shape. Too much and too straight of a taper and you have a brandy. The stem needs to be thinned out more. The shank and stem are bit too long. The shank bowl transition is too sharp. That's what I see. It's a very good effort and better than most.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Thanks a lot! :)
That's what bothered me the most, the taper isn't the same on the front and the back and I had a hard time to get it to "feel right". I guess that comes with time.
When you say the stem has to be thinned you mean the part closer to the shank and the entire taper, not the bit, right? Cause I worked so hard on the bit to make it thin enough (3,7mm) that I probably haven't paid enough attention to the rest of the stem :) I see that, also the length of the shank is somethink I don't really like myself...
Shank-bowl too sharp- I kinda did that on purpose, seeing how everyone stresses a nice and sharp transition, so maybe I overdid it?
Thank you very much for the advice :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree with WT's comments. I think in particular the stem needs two corrections - first, it is "bulgy" - the taper isn't flat, it's in fact convex, so it makes that whole end of the pipe look kind of chubby, and the bit end is too wide for the pipe and also for best comfort on a straight pipe. It's tough to make a nice stem, but a good error to make is to taper it more than you think you should - this allows it to get thin quickly and also to give it a nice slim appearance, and you can make the bit end a more appropriate size.

Unadorned billiards are really tough to master, but when you do, your other pipes will also look better. This one's close in lots of ways, now it's just a question of refining proportions and trying to give the thing a bit of grace.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Sas, no colourful lines for me? :( :D
I get what you mean, the taper is actually convex, I'll have to work on that.
I treated this pipe more as an excercise, I realize that simple billiards are hard to make but helpful in the general pipemaking learning.
I'm off to the workshop, there's briar dust to make :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's the only way! Go do it again!

If you're gonna make another billy, shoot for shank length being equal to bowl height, and stem length being about equal to stummel length. Knocking those basic proportions together isn't child's play, but when you get 'em, all of a sudden the thing will look a lot more "right".
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

A classic Billiard, and a good bird's eye.
Best regards.
Félix

Una Billiard clásica, y un buen "ojo de perdíz".
Saludos.
Félix