Check This Out

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
NeroWolfe

Re: Check This Out

Post by NeroWolfe »

I wonder how many neophyte pipe smokers in China itself have been sucked into this site and have been ripped off???? (Neglecting those elsewhere as well!).
Massis

Post by Massis »

KurtHuhn wrote:Well, guys, it looks like I've had some success getting this site shut down. The domain still exists, but at least the hosting provider has pulled the account and shut down the server.

I forget when I sent them an email - Maybe Friday night. The site was still active at 06:30 this morning, so accounting for a 3 hour time difference between here and there, it probably was one of the first things they did this morning.

Sad thing is, since the domain still exists and was registered by a Chinese registrar, we might actually see this website again pop up on another IP at another unwitting service provider.
I think your sad prophecy came true. At least I can see the website still being online...

I guess they sold 15 of E. Markle's pipes to buy a new server.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wow - it's hosted in Germany now, apparently.

Sent a message to Scopehosts (the hosting services reseller) and their provider Netdirect (who actually provides the hardware and infrastructure).

Lets see what happens...
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

Go get'em Kurt!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I got a reply almost immediately, complete with support ticket number. If they (the scammers) can't explain themselves Netdirekt (now Leaseweb.com) will take them down and disable the account. Hopefully we'll see progress tomorrow morning.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

nice (non-)customer support from Leaseweb! I'm guessing they didn't have an explanation, smokerpipe.com is offline again.

3 cheers for Kurt :thumbsup: