My Egg Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Wallaby

My Egg Pipe

Post by Wallaby »

Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed reading the post on this site. No other site comes close to the information listed here. I decided to join and post a few photo's of my my first briar pipe. This is my 3rd pipe. The first two I made from oak firewood I had lying around. This pipe has become my daily smoker. I have thick skin so all comments are very welcome.

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: My Egg Pipe

Post by KurtHuhn »

For a third pipe, and the first in briar, this shows great promise. Well done! :thumbsup:

I would bend the stem less, and get a little more fluid with the profile lines. I'm looking forward to seeing your next pipe!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice pipe you have made there. :thumbsup:
JeremyV

Post by JeremyV »

Very nice! I agree with Kurt's comment about the curve though. I'd consider heating closer to the stummel first and get a longer, but more gentle bend going vs all of it being on the rear 1/3.
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Do you mind sharing with me how you executed that inlay? Very nice pipe. I'm new as well so any critique from me would be of no worth.

Thanks.

Vid Trent.
Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog.
Wallaby

Post by Wallaby »

hawky454 wrote:Do you mind sharing with me how you executed that inlay? Very nice pipe. I'm new as well so any critique from me would be of no worth.

Thanks.

Vid Trent.

I drilled a small hole, glued in a small piece of briar, sand and polish that's about it.

Wallaby
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Wallaby wrote:

I drilled a small hole, glued in a small piece of briar, sand and polish that's about it.

Wallaby

I guess my question is how do you get a perfectly sized round piece of briar drilled out to place in the hole you drilled in the stem? What tool would you use for that? I tried a hole puncher but I couldn't get that to work....HARDY HAR HAR!
Wallaby

Post by Wallaby »

hawky454 wrote:
Wallaby wrote:

Wallaby

I guess my question is how do you get a perfectly sized round piece of briar drilled out to place in the hole you drilled in the stem? What tool would you use for that? I tried a hole puncher but I couldn't get that to work....HARDY HAR HAR!
Sorry, I understand now.....I cut off a small piece of briar, chucked it up in my drill press and used a file to begin a round shape and then used 220 grit sandpaper to get the correct diameter. Cut it longer than the depth of the hole, glue it in, sand the surface when shaping the stem. That's how I did it. This procedure is fast and only requires a few simple tools.

My pipe making skill level is nowhere near the level as most of the good people on this site. Taking direction from a noob probably should be taken with caution. With that being said, If asked, I will comment on what I might have done but to give advise would be wrong.

Wallaby
hawky454

Post by hawky454 »

Thanks Wallaby. Sometimes us new guys can help each other out too. I'll give that a try.
HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

Nice looking pipe, I love color and the dot inlay. Great work!