Against the purchase of crappy tools

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeff

Against the purchase of crappy tools

Post by jeff »

Reasons not to buy a $10 grinder:

1. No heat sink or other method of cooling
2. Crappy grinding wheels
3. Low load tolerance (low torque?)
4. Overheats and breaks in the middle of a freaking job!

Yup, that's right, this is the last cheapie tool for me for a while. I was half-way through grinding a cutting tool for stems when that high-pitched whirr became lower and lower pitched. No, I told myself, I wasn't grinding at that particular moment, so the speed shouldn't be dropping. I shut it off and saw thin wisps of smoke curling from the wheel covers. Dammit. I guess I'm off to the store this week. A half-ground cutting tool will cut a pretty crappy stem, in my estimation.

Now to read the book of Job. How appropriate.

Jeff
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Jeff,

Yes, crappy tools are, in the end, more of a hindrance than a crutch. I know people often buy them as "interim" stand-ins until better tools will fit into the budget. My advice is always to turn pipe sales into tool purchases until you're soundly in the black. Just hold off buying that "necessary" tool until you can afford to buy a really good one. I think it proves more profitable in the end (both in a monetary and non-monetary sense). I should think you had better sense than to buy a $10 grinder anyway . . . Oh wait, you go to Princeton don't you. That explains it :lol:

Todd
jeff

Post by jeff »

ToddJohnson wrote:I should think you had better sense than to buy a $10 grinder anyway . . . Oh wait, you go to Princeton don't you. That explains it
I guess I skipped that class when preparing for the Richmond show.

Hmm, maybe I can get a refund. :lol:
Jeff