Just finished

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
DaGamba

Just finished

Post by DaGamba »

I'm quite happy about this pipe. In my opinion it might be the best pipe I made so far. Almost like a real pipe! That's why I need you to shoot me down from my high horse and put be back in place. With your comments, of course... :D

JeremyV

Re: Just finished

Post by JeremyV »

Uhm, I don't know what your previous work looks like (I'm new around here), but that is beautiful!
R.H.

Post by R.H. »

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Greetings,

Ramón
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

This is a very nice pipe. Great use of grain, and the finishing work is excellent!

Criticisms? The stem seems long/heavy. I think it needs slightly less stem, and perhaps that stem to be somewhat slimmer. The shank seems to have a reverse curve on the top, and a mirror image on the bottom. This makes it seem like the shank is bulged out near the face - this is probably what is contributing to the heavy feel of the stem. And the shank/bowl transition is very loose, which is specially evident in the photo of the top where the sides of the shank seem to just melt into the bowl rather than intersecting with it.

Fine tuning aside, it looks good. Very nice work!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks for your comments.

@Kurt: Believe it or not but the "bulgyness" was a choice I made. Thought it looked a bit, hrm, organic, or so. I was pondering making the stem thinner but was afraid it would look to hard or cold in feel. Well, just shows how much I still have to learn.
With the shank/bowl transition I wanted something smooth. I was afraid to disturb the grain with a more distinct transision. I'll try to make it better next time
Nate

Post by Nate »

Criticisms noted, I think it's a pretty nice piece Pär! Like the grain a bunch!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That's a beautiful pipe! I agree with Kurt's comments about stem length and shank/bowl transition.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of delta in the dimension of the shank, so I thought I'd mention that.

Rad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Wow! Beautiful grain on that one. I agree with Kurt on all points but it's still a striking pipe. Nice job. Oh, and of course there's the delta thing that Rad mentions. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

RadDavis wrote:One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of delta in the dimension of the shank, so I thought I'd mention that.
You science geeks and your math. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

RadDavis wrote:That's a beautiful pipe! I agree with Kurt's comments about stem length and shank/bowl transition.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of delta in the dimension of the shank, so I thought I'd mention that.

Rad
You didn't say 'Hope this helps'!!!! Agggh what is the world coming to?! :lol:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Nate wrote:
RadDavis wrote:That's a beautiful pipe! I agree with Kurt's comments about stem length and shank/bowl transition.

Rad

Duh, Nate. It's obvious that mentioning the amount of delta in the dimension won't help anybody.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:
Nate wrote:

Rad

Duh, Nate. It's obvious that mentioning the amount of delta in the dimension won't help anybody.
Oh yes it will!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Pär, I'm a big fan of your style of work. I hope in the pursuit of becoming a "recognized name" that you don't lose your personal style and touch. Nice pipe man.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DaGamba

Post by DaGamba »

Thanks for your comments guys.

Actually, I spoke to my accountant about the amount of delta. And he said it was ok.
Nate

Post by Nate »

RadDavis wrote:
Nate wrote:

Rad

Hope this helps.

Rad
Now that did help, thanks!

I worked on a Delta plane yesterday, what do I win?
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Nate wrote:I worked on a Delta plane yesterday, what do I win?
Please keep it on topic Nate. This was about delta dimensionalism, not planar deltism.
Boekweg

Post by Boekweg »

Very nice pipe you have made there! :thumbsup:
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

[quote="DaGamba"]I'm quite happy about this pipe. In my opinion it might be the best pipe I made so far. Almost like a real pipe! That's why I need you to shoot me down from my high horse and put be back in place. With your comments, of course... :D

Okay, Par, you asked for it, so here goes: You, Par, are a bad, bad person...and, uh...your high horse is not only extremely...uh...high (yeah, that's it)...but has a really...long face...so, go back to your...low...horse and...uh...stay there...???

Your pipes, on the other hand, are freaking awesome. So there. :thplt:

By the way, that's an amazing piece of briar. Did you grow it yourself?
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
Wallaby

Post by Wallaby »

Wonderful pipe!!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Well done! Beautiful work, now just need to get the fine-tuning right with the next ones!