Big Black Mariah

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
billiard

Big Black Mariah

Post by billiard »

Edited to add: There is an update pic in the thread below, thanks!
---

This pipe way too big for me and I doubt I will ever smoke it, it was fun to make though but really I just wanted to make a pipe I could call the Big Black Mariah.

The bowl is drilled 1" in diameter and has a chamfer on top of that, it's also over 2" deep, (it's big!) german ebbonite, briar, fiebings, carnauba wax, passes a pipe cleaner and is pretty light for it's size as plasterfurbication removes a lot of briar.

This first pic makes my stem shank junction look like crap, I should probably sand more... but there it is:

Ok, I think what might be going on, besides needing to do better at the junction, I use red dye over the stummel so I can see what I have rustifarbiatied and what I haven't. the red is shining through, in the future I need to use black on an all black pipe:

Suppose to include a pic like this I think:

Also suppose to show the top of the bowl I think:

and here is a picture of Polka Joe:

There is plenty of stuff you guys can yell at me about, like my crappy stem, it's just the pimo tool and a 12" sanding disc but that's no excuse. The only other comment I will make is that the stem is thinner than it looks behind the button, I dunno why but I just wanted to keep it squarish looking, seems to match the giant bowl better. I am sure it is prolly still a little thick but it's comfy to me.

Thanks for looking,
Billiard
Last edited by billiard on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wdteipen

Re: Big Black Mariah

Post by wdteipen »

Stummel shape and rustication look good. Saddle looks good. The stem needs to taper thinner towards the bit and the stem is overbent. Otherwise it looks cool. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks Wayne,

I wil straighten the stem and thin it more then. How overbent is it? I thought it was good but now that you say that, when I look I agree, so how much up should I go, just a smidge or am I off by a bunch and not seeing it? Thanks for educating me!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I would say about the distance that your button is tall or a bit more.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
taharris

Post by taharris »

Billiard,

I think you did a nice job on the rustication of this one.
The pipe looks like it would be very comfortable in ones hand and the rustication will give it an interesting feel.

Todd
ckr

Post by ckr »

I agree that the stem is way too thick. The bend is also to concentrated and should be more gradual over a longer portion of the stem. The thickness makes it difficult to bent the stem closer to the saddle, thinning it will make it easier to heat and bend it more gradually. JMHO.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thank you all for the feedback.

The airway is 11/64" all the way to about 1/2" to the button so I think if I want the main part of the stem to appear thinner, and to be more bendable, I will need to taper the sides and not make it rectangular (my apologies for what is probably improper terminology). I can take it down behind the button more so that will help.

When I get off work today I will straighten the stem and will take it and me file to my son's football practice tonight and spend some time filing. I might trash it but I will give it an honest shot, if it comes out then I will rebend it, trying to both lengthen the bend and get the bend angle correct.

Thanks again,
Billiard
billiard

Post by billiard »

So I got a lunch today, I usually don't but I got one so I tweaked this pipe.

It's still not thin enough, it's bend is still wrong, but I think it looks a little better....

Before:
After:

I should really reface the shank... and if I am going to do that I should just make a new stem... but I am calling it good here and will take these lessons on to my next pipe.

Many thanks for the feedback and tips,
Billiard
billiard

Post by billiard »

Sirs,

My apologies for bumping this again but I wanted to show that I try to listen and do better. I might just be doing this for fun, but that doesn't mean I don't care ;)

Today during my breaks at work I filed much more off the stem and here is my best attempt at a close up pic:

Now I am done with it! Tonight after the kids are asleep I am gonna sit out on the deck and see how long this big thing will smoke for.

Thanks again,
Billiard