Lathe parts HELP

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
TRS
Site Supporter

Lathe parts HELP

Post by TRS »

This is a long shot, I know. I've got an old 1930's Craftsman wood lathe with a compound tool rest. Today as I was getting ready to start on a stem the whole lathe started acting 'funny'. When I went to investigate why the spindle seemed strange, I discovered the spindle pulley had cracked wide open! I've searched ebay and craigslist to no avail. Does anyone know of anywhere I might be able to find a replacement of any type?

Of course I was working on my billiard contest pipe as well, so I'm desperate to find something in time. Thanks a lot for ANY help!

Tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Lathe parts HELP

Post by KurtHuhn »

It may be that there is a generic replacement (or at least close enough) part, assuming the spindle is a standard OD.

Do you have a measurement of the OD of the spindle?

How many grooves in the pulley?

Rough diameter of the pulley grooves?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

It suddenly occured to me that Mcmaster carries EVERYTHING. I found step pulleys with a 3/4" bore that are reasonably close to my ODs, so I'm giving it a go. Thanks Kurt
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's the way, shrubber!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Just did some research on the internet, I found a 1930's craftsman wood lathe model number on a random website. If you plug the number into the sears website the parts are still available. the pulley for this one is only $564. you might as well get two. but seriously it might be an option to check if you still have your model plate from the lathe.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I actually did try Sears parts. They gave it a search to see if they even had anything compatible and came up empty. I might go for that $564 dollar pulley though, because it's important to me that all the parts be as close to original as possible. Since I only paid $50 for the lathe to begin with, it might be worth the investment if I ever go to sell it. :D
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

101 289 10 is the model number i found. go to sears.com and click on the parts direct tab at the top. it should redirect you to a schematic of the lathe.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Mine's actually a wood lathe. #101.06242 It was just supplied with a compound tool rest for added fun.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sweet. Thank you McMaster-Carr! Kurt, feel free to delete this or retitle it 'Where to find step pulleys'. Thanks