Marking tools

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Amalgam

Marking tools

Post by Amalgam »

Being an artist I have always been attracted to pipes, but never pay much more attentions until a couple of years ago when I started to smoke pipes. So I have decide to start making some practice and so far the ones that I have made in poplar :lol: :lol: :lol: are pretty good; so I am going to try with the real deal: Briar. So, since at least the first 1,000 pipes probably will no be good at all to have a name as a pipe maker, I am going to make them for my own use (and for some friends that have volunteered to give them a test drive) Now, I do not have any and I am not going to spend money in marking tools to write my name or models's name or even a logo in a professional way so I would like to know if any of you know or have an idea on how can I write certain things on the pipe in an artisanal way :thumbsup:

thank you so much

Alfredo
Sasquatch

Re: Marking tools

Post by Sasquatch »

There's a few "cheapie" ways, unfortunately, they mostly look it. Cheapest easiest is a very fine burr on a dremel, and you can just cut whatever you want into the pipe. You can look at getting a set of letter stamps for about 10 bucks, you could just hack whatever you want with a knife or a small carving tool....
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I've seen some guys make homemade pantographs with an etcher of some sort with relative success.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
JonBood

Post by JonBood »

I have tried to mark my pipes with scrim shaw, often used in knife making to create artwork on mostly horn I guess.
The result is ok but not too good, probably because of my own scrim-skills. It seems to be working fine to scrim the briar also as well as the horn and compared engraving freehand with a dremel this one gives me way better results. I'd post some pics but i can't find my camera at the moment=(
Also I am a newbie but it's at least an idea that you can try out if you want to. All you need is a needle and some oil/acrylic paint.
Frank

Post by Frank »

If you have a steady hand and decent writing skills, you could use one of those pencil size woodburners.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett