11-19

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jos

11-19

Post by Jos »

Hi there,

here comes my latest effort:

11.8 cm / 4.65 " long, weight 60 g / 2.1 oz.

Critique, please ...

Regards, Jens
wdteipen

Re: 11-19

Post by wdteipen »

Pretty nice looking pipe overall, Jens. The things I see that could be improved: 1) looks like the briar got a bit too hot while sanding on the side with the nicer grain. I've been there. If it burns badly enough it's tough if not impossible to get the burn stains out. I experienced this mostly when my sanding setup included a hard backed sanding disc and worn out sandpaper. I use the rubber hook and loop discs now and they are more forgiving; 2) the grain on the opposite side is pretty bland. For those two reasons, I think this pipe would be better off sandblasted or rusticated. 3) The only other thing I see is that the bowl symmetry looks a touch off in the last picture but not too bad. The stemwork is nice. Could be a tad thinner but not bad. Overall, a very nice looking pipe. Nice work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Jos

Post by Jos »

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your comment !
wdteipen wrote:Pretty nice looking pipe overall, Jens. The things I see that could be improved: 1) looks like the briar got a bit too hot while sanding on the side with the nicer grain. I've been there. If it burns badly enough it's tough if not impossible to get the burn stains out. I experienced this mostly when my sanding setup included a hard backed sanding disc and worn out sandpaper. I use the rubber hook and loop discs now and they are more forgiving; 2) the grain on the opposite side is pretty bland. For those two reasons, I think this pipe would be better off sandblasted or rusticated. 3) The only other thing I see is that the bowl symmetry looks a touch off in the last picture but not too bad. The stemwork is nice. Could be a tad thinner but not bad. Overall, a very nice looking pipe. Nice work.
Actually, the black spots aren't burnt, they're black stain. This piece of briar had some parts that soaked up stain like a sponge ... I sanded and sanded, but it won't go away ... Guess I really should've rusticated, or given it a really dark stain.
The bowl is actually completely asymmetric, twisted to the right at about 15 or 20 degrees - the photos above actually don't really show that. Better to be seen here:

Best regards, Jens
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Ah, yes. That explains the asymmetric appearance in the previous pictures. Cool.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com