17-11 'Cicatrix'

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nate

17-11 'Cicatrix'

Post by Nate »

taharris

Re: 17-11 'Cicatrix'

Post by taharris »

Nate,

That pipe is beautifully done. I love the Prince shape.

How do you get your bamboo so clean?

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sandblaster, 200 psi, 20 minutes or until done.

That pipe is some kind of tiny, man.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Nate

Post by Nate »

taharris wrote:Nate,

That pipe is beautifully done. I love the Prince shape.

How do you get your bamboo so clean?

Todd
Thanks Todd!

During shaping and most of the work, I keep the bamboo covered in masking tape. That keeps the dust from discoloring it and is a protective layer against dents and dings. After shaping is complete, I use a dedicated 'bamboo' buffing wheel with white diamond only. Never buff the bamboo with red/brown trip as it adds color to the piece. But if you use white it shines up the piece without embedding any color. It's also helpful to wear clean gloves while handling it.

Hope this helps.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sasquatch wrote:Sandblaster, 200 psi, 20 minutes or until done.

That pipe is some kind of tiny, man.
Well, I can only get to 175 psi, so I run it for 30 minutes.

Yeah, small but long. A commissioned pipe. :D
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Really well done, Nate. I've found that I like a small, light pipe like that some of the time. You really did a good job executing the prince shape, and the bamboo looks great. The only comment I have, and this isn't so much a critique as it is a thought...would the flow from bamboo to stem look better if the flare on the stem were smaller/closer to the diameter of the bamboo knuckles?

Micah
Nate

Post by Nate »

mredmond wrote:Really well done, Nate. I've found that I like a small, light pipe like that some of the time. You really did a good job executing the prince shape, and the bamboo looks great. The only comment I have, and this isn't so much a critique as it is a thought...would the flow from bamboo to stem look better if the flare on the stem were smaller/closer to the diameter of the bamboo knuckles?

Micah
Good eyes Micah! I discussed this with Wayne after it was complete. The size is very close to the middle knuckle, but no the others. In hindsight (just like Sas' observations on 'Atomar') I would have made it smaller and plan to in the future. This one is definitely on the small side, about a Group 3 with a .75" x .95" chamber and only 20 grams (.71oz.). But the length is on the Group 4 side just under 6". It's a princewarden! :lol: