edge-safe files

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
oklahoma red

edge-safe files

Post by oklahoma red »

Can anyone recommend a good source for factory-made edge-safe files?
And in the same vein, how many out there just make your own by grinding off the edges?
Chas.

Believe in the P principle: Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance
e Markle

Re: edge-safe files

Post by e Markle »

Yeah, I think most of us just grind the edges off on our own. I've ground different edges on almost all of my files.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

All my files came with one live edge one safe so I have never had the need to modify. THat being said it wouldn't bee difficult to grind a smooth edge if needed, just run it over the disc, belt or stone grinder.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

agree with the above comments... if i need a smooth edge on a file I just grind it down...

I grind down my mouthpiece files anyway in order to make them more pointed for my purposes

james
andrew

Post by andrew »

I grind my own and buy with the edge safe. The best files I've used so far are Grobet from Gesswein. Just look under their precision files. Buying a nice file is fun, but it won't make up for a lack of skill. If you can't use a cheap file and get good results, the nice ones probably won't help you (unless the cheap file has a big snaggled tooth hanging off one edge).
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I can't figure out why I would need an edge-safe file.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Tyler

I use it on the back of the button when thinning the mouthpiece .. mainly... the small files I've grinded down.. are files I've broken the tip off of.. and ended up w/a flat surface on one side...

james
Growley

Post by Growley »

jogilli wrote:Tyler

I use it on the back of the button when thinning the mouthpiece .. mainly... the small files I've grinded down.. are files I've broken the tip off of.. and ended up w/a flat surface on one side...

james
I never thought of filing down my files for this reason. I've wished I had one before for the exact reason you described here, but it never occurred to me to file one down. Just this afternoon. I was performing this exact procedure, but I didn't have the right file, so I put a piece of paper between the file and stem where I didn't want sand. I think I'm going to have to sand one down for this reason.

Good idea.

Brian.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I guess I knew behind the button would be the answer, but I don't really see why it's necessary. Must be we do thing in a different order. I'm not ever that worried about the back of the button.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I just got a set of these new fangled files.

I got the extreme fine cut ones.

And they do have the safe edge.

I think I am going to love them. They take off material like no one's business and leave a smooth finish!

Todd
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

taharris wrote:I just got a set of these new fangled files.

I think I am going to love them. They take off material like no one's business and leave a smooth finish!

Todd
Do tell on the brand of these new fangled files.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Oops! :oops:

I was all ready to post a link and forgot:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2080472 ... Files.aspx

Todd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Because I have to do everything different, all my files have a live edge. You just have to be careful and pay attention when you get close to the right shape. I used to use a safe edge file, but I found that I could do things faster with a live edge file.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sam a

Post by sam a »

taharris wrote:I just got a set of these new fangled files.

Todd

i got myself a set of these new fangled files as well... the ex-fine and the medium. and i will testify they beat the pants of my nicholson files by miles
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

KurtHuhn wrote:Because I have to do everything different, all my files have a live edge. You just have to be careful and pay attention when you get close to the right shape. I used to use a safe edge file, but I found that I could do things faster with a live edge file.
I'm with you.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Iwasaki carving files are fantastic! Watch your knuckles and fingernails.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I will probably make at least one edge of all my files safe eventually. I have an ignition file i shaped to file the inside of the slot. The file is .030" thick, about half the thickness of the #199 cutter used on the slot. It has really helped produce a deep vee slot.
sam a

Post by sam a »

andrew wrote:Iwasaki carving files are fantastic! Watch your knuckles and fingernails.
haha... what knuckles? you aren't kidding!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

KurtHuhn wrote:Because I have to do everything different, all my files have a live edge. You just have to be careful and pay attention when you get close to the right shape. I used to use a safe edge file, but I found that I could do things faster with a live edge file.

Thats why i like the fact all my files came with a live edge and a safe edge :D
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

andrew wrote:Iwasaki carving files are fantastic! Watch your knuckles and fingernails.

Where can one procure such files? Right now I'm just using a cheap set of needle files from the hardware store.