edge-safe files

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
nolo

Re: edge-safe files

Post by nolo »

e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:I can't figure out why I would need an edge-safe file.
Yes, but you can't even figure out which side of the pipe is the front.

I'm just sayin'...
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:I guess I knew behind the button would be the answer, but I don't really see why it's necessary. Must be we do thing in a different order. I'm not ever that worried about the back of the button.
I also have a file that I've rounded the edge on so I can file all the way to the radius on a saddle bit. It lets me make a more consistent slope with my files instead of cutting into the radius with a hard edge.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

fuchi_jeg wrote:I will probably make at least one edge of all my files safe eventually. I have an ignition file i shaped to file the inside of the slot. The file is .030" thick, about half the thickness of the #199 cutter used on the slot. It has really helped produce a deep vee slot.
Ignition file! Now there is a blast from the past. I wonder if you can still buy them and how many here know what they were for (and don't say "filing your ignition" :lol:

I have 4 Iwasaki files and they cut like crazy. Like someone said, watch your knuckles. They'll bark you up real quick.

Chas.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:
Tyler wrote:I guess I knew behind the button would be the answer, but I don't really see why it's necessary. Must be we do thing in a different order. I'm not ever that worried about the back of the button.
I also have a file that I've rounded the edge on so I can file all the way to the radius on a saddle bit. It lets me make a more consistent slope with my files instead of cutting into the radius with a hard edge.
Now here's an idea I can get behind. Nice.

So, are you filing on the front of the saddle or the back? :mrgreen:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Tyler wrote:
This would probably depend on the delta of the dimension.

Rad
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

RadDavis wrote:
Tyler wrote:
This would probably depend on the delta of the dimension.

Rad
That's true. Take that into account Ernie.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I actually bought mine at sears about 4 months ago. I really dont know what they are intended for, but they are a little thinner and wider than the needle files i have and produce about the same results as far as finish goes.
andrew

Post by andrew »

well, I've only recently started using files with a safe edge near the button. it does slow down your work. Maybe I haven't given the safe edge thing a fair shake yet. Learning to use the tool properly and all that. I guess we'll see. I like the idea of having a rounded edge when working around the saddle. I think my beard has a few gray hairs from working near any curve with a sharp file edge. I'm thinking that the same guys that invest in cheap file companies have ownership in sand paper companies too.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I made my own safe edge file, but now that I have that one figured out, I can see how making use specific files is a plus. Just as making any other pipe making specific tools is.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
eric

Post by eric »

Will it wreck the Iwasaki files if I use them on lucite?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I use both. I use inexpensive Nicholson files but the safe edge ones are hard to find locally. If I can't find the safe edge ones I just grind my own safe edge. I actually find that safe edges that I grind myself are better because the factory safe edges have a bit of a rounded corner on the safe edge.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com