Jet 920 New & Old

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
e Markle

Jet 920 New & Old

Post by e Markle »

Hi All,
I have the older model of the Jet 920, like this one: Image

I'm curious if anyone knows the differences between the new model and old model, or if you have the new model (with the knobs on the front), like this:

If you do have the new model, and you don't mind taking some pics for me, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks.
Growley

Re: Jet 920 New & Old

Post by Growley »

Ernie,

Mine is the the newest one. I've attached some pics below. I'm not sure what technical differences there are, but there are some simple differences.

The Red knob is a kill switch.

The black knob is your right and left turn selection

The green button is your power button. If you use the kill switch you have to turn the power back on with this button.

The I, II and III are your speed switches used for moving your saddle forward or backward at a particular rate ...or 3 rates as it were. I don't think you'll ever use this for pipe making unless you get into threading or something.

The black knob on top of the machine is your tension throw switch to put pressure on the pulleys to turn your chuck. This is where the older 920's and the newer ones differ I think. On the older ones you pretty much have to use that knob or your chuck won't turn fast. Mine turns whether it's thrown or not. In fact, I quit using it all together because for what I'm doing it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm guessing it's necessary if you're putting quite a bit of pressure on your chuck. Either that, or my machine is set up wrong :)

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I'll do my best to answer them.

Brian.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Ernie,

I have the old style like yours.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Growley

Post by Growley »

I'm thinking the new one must be junk then, because you guys are making way better pipes than I am.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

Ernie! Where ya been, man!?

I don't own a Jet. Hope this helps.
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:
http://www.turnerpipes.com

Of Briar and Ashes:
http://turnerpipes.wordpress.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:Hi Ernie,

I have the old style like yours.

Hope this helps.

Rad
Thanks Rad. Hey, I haven't expressed how grateful I am for all your help lately. I thought I might send you a gift to do so, but first, I think it might be a good idea to gauge your interests. Would you mind taking the following quiz, and sending me the results? It's so I'll know what to get you. Thanks!
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

SimeonTurner wrote:Ernie! Where ya been, man!?

Hi Simeon,
See my above response to Rad.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Growley wrote:I'm thinking the new one must be junk then, because you guys are making way better pipes than I am.
Brian,
Thanks for your HELPFUL response. I found your response HELPFUL both in how comprehensive the pictures were and in the alacrity with which you addressed the initial question. The lack of lip was also very HELPFUL. It's amazing to me how someone who's only been doing this for a mere matter of months can be so much more HELPFUL than some of the more seasoned members here. I think it proves that you have a superior intellect. :)
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I have a myford, a REAL lathe.

Hope this helps :)
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have the same lathe as Simeon and Jeff.

Hope this helps.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I'm officially leaving the forum. This WILL help me. :)
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

e Markle wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:Ernie! Where ya been, man!?

Hi Simeon,
See my above response to Rad.
But you didn't answer my question? Where the heck have you been?
"It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good - and less trouble."

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

SimeonTurner wrote:
December is extremely busy for my day job. In the three weeks before Christmas I had 6 out of state trips to meet with some 30 clients. Then I got back and my PC died on me so I decided to hibernate for a week or so. I feel much better now.
SimeonTurner
Site Supporter

Post by SimeonTurner »

e Markle wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:
December is extremely busy for my day job. In the three weeks before Christmas I had 6 out of state trips to meet with some 30 clients. Then I got back and my PC died on me so I decided to hibernate for a week or so. I feel much better now.
So you have made about as many pipes as I have in the past month? LOL

Thanks for sending me to that quiz site, BTW. The 18 new viruses on my computer are already growing nicely. :P

Turner Pipes Website:

Of Briar and Ashes:
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

SimeonTurner wrote:
Thanks for sending me to that quiz site, BTW. The 18 new viruses on my computer are already growing nicely. :P
You shouldn't have filled out the form.

I got all the questions right, but I was smart enough to ignore that "fill out your profile ruse".

Tell me what I won, Ernie! Is it a new car?

Rad
Nate

Post by Nate »

RadDavis wrote:
SimeonTurner wrote:
You shouldn't have filled out the form.

I got all the questions right, but I was smart enough to ignore that "fill out your profile ruse".

Tell me what I won, Ernie! Is it a new car?

Rad
He mentioned the prize for that quiz was going to be a group of new billiards...weird.
Nate

Post by Nate »

BTW Ernie, I can take pictures of my lathe for you as well. Just say the word.

Hope this helps
andrew

Post by andrew »

Well, this thread obviously got Ernie's goat... could it be delayed effects of jet lag? Noooooooo. Could it be the helpful post by Brian? Noooooooo. Could it be the two line hijack responses? Maybe.
andrew

Post by andrew »

(I don't own a jet, I scanned the manuals on their site....) So here's what I found:

As best I can tell, the newer one has more threading capabilities than the older one and a slightly larger spindle bore. Full 7/8" as opposed to 25/32". Motors are the same, speeds are the same. So unless threading stuff really gets you going, sounds like the same machine. Oh, the newer one also has an extra 1/4" of swing over the bed and weighs more, it's a fatty version of the old one. And the knobs are on the front... wait, you knew that.

Hope this helps.

Good night and good luck.
Nate

Post by Nate »

andrew wrote:Well, this thread obviously got Ernie's goat... could it be delayed effects of jet lag? Noooooooo. Could it be the helpful post by Brian? Noooooooo. Could it be the two line hijack responses? Maybe.
Nah, Ernie's got way thicker skin than that. He's been suuuuper busy as of late, so I'm sure he'll respond again later.