latest efforts

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

latest efforts

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I hesitated to post these last few pipes because of the poor quality of my camera. I built a quick light tent, and I think that helped a little.
I'll post these in order of completion. The first was a rhodesian for the PITH, and my first integral tenon. The transition was weak and the tenon a little loose. Also a huge flaw covering the inside of the bowl.

Next is the bulldog for the PITH. I had trouble with the transition on this one too. I have since switched to a shorter mortise bit, and drill/face without moving the position of the tailstock. I back the ram out, change from mortise to facing bit, then crank it back in giving me a much tighter fit. I appreciate any tips on nailing down the shaping. The sharpness of the chin bothers me.
Next is A poker/dublin style with A reverse taper shank. I am easing in to bents, this is my second. I nicked the shank face on the wheel. very obvious in the picture.

Last is a lumbermanish pipe that i finished last night. Just trying to tighten up the billiard bowl shaping and eliminate the wobble in the shank that my similar pipes have.
Thanks for looking, any advice tips or general critiques are appreciated.
Joe.
Ocelot55

Re: latest efforts

Post by Ocelot55 »

I like the billiard and the bent poker the best. One thing that keeps sticking out to me is the thickness of the bit; not the thickness you bite down on, mind you, but rather the thickness off the bit itself. It seems like they would be more comfortable if they were thinned a little.

There is a lot to like about these pipes, but also a lot to improve on. I think you are aware of what needs improvement, so I won't comment any further. I'll just conclude by saying that they are all nice. I think you have the basics down. Now you just need to refine things.

Keep up the good work.
Growley

Post by Growley »

Pretty cool poker. I like it quite a bit. Too bad about the nick. I hate it when things like that happen.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Are you referring to the button thickness or the overall width of the stem at the button? they probably are a little tall, and possibly a little to big from front to back. I started making buttons that were the complete opposite,too short and narrow. When i corrected them, they went the other way. I think they look much better but probably aren't as comfortable. I will try to tame them in the future. As for the nick in the shank, I thought i could make it vanish in final sanding. That would be the last thing you notice if I had posted a picture of the other side of the bowl. there are four 1/4" pits in the side of the stummel. It looks kind of like plateau, but they are just natural flaws. So I made a deal with a friend to sell it and moved on.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Yeah, I guess I should clarify. I was referring to the thickness of the button from front to back. It just looks slightly uncomfortable, of course it may not be. Still you've done a nice job.