Plump Strawberry

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Growley

Plump Strawberry

Post by Growley »

I just finished this little guy up today. It's only about 4.25 inches long with a hand cut acrylic "cumberland" stem. If the wood hadn't failed me in a few places I'd be rather happy with how it turned out. Once I get rid of this less than awesome wood I think I'll be buying from Mimmo and hopefully turn out some better pipes.

The pics make the stem by the button look a bit chunky, but it measures only 3.42MM, so I guess it's just the camera.

Anyway, take a look.

As always, thanks for looking.

Brian.
andrew

Re: Plump Strawberry

Post by andrew »

The lower half of this thing has curves in all the right places. I'm not crazy about the finish, but I understand the wood issue. I've been trying to dig myself out of that one too :x . It'll just about drive you nuts.

You got some serious flow going from button to bowl. Very nice.
JMG

Post by JMG »

It looks like the grain is a little flat on this piece of briar, but I'd be interested in seeing a little contrast with the staining. It may help to disguise some of the flaws in the briar and also help to match the stem color a little better. Color aside, I'm loving the curves on this one, Brian. It may be a touch bowl heavy given the thinness of the shank, but still some really fluid lines. You've been putting out some really nice bents lately.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I love the thin shank. It has a very organic feel. You have really got to get some better briar. It's a pity to put so much work into a poor block. If that was made out of top notch briar I would be all over that one. Excellent job! No critique from me. :thumbsup:
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I like it.. too bad about the wood though

james