Users of Metal and Wood Lathes

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:
jeff wrote: Todd-clone? Would you suggest that I become Random-clone?
I would suggest that you think for yourself.
jeff wrote: I, for one, have used the methods employed by Todd in the construction of his own pipes and found his advice, method, and engineering to be excellent. The overall visual quality, attention to detail, and smoking characteristics that one gains using the methods that he has developed and adapted from Eltang, et. al. are second to none.
All hail Todd. Beware the belief that you have learned it all. "second to none" makes me laugh. Why? Because it implies that you have looked at everything and tried it all. You have simply accepted Todd as your Master and stopped thinking for yourself. That's close enough to clonage for engineering purposes.
Random,

I'm not sure which one of your personalities I'm ever speaking to, but this one seems to be certifiably insane. In all seriousness, I wish you would seek clinical help. It is quite clear that you suffer from paranoia, narcissism, and are perhaps bi-polar. You should really just cool it with the looniness.

I recently sent you an e-mail (which you claimed not to have read) complementing your recent work, the sales that you've made, the review that you received from a prominent collector, etc. I don't care how you do things. We all suffer the consequences or reap the rewards of our own methods. I've tried on numerous occasions (mostly after you've complained about how you don't know where your next meal will come from) to offer you bits of advice, technical suggestions, etc., in hopes that they may benefit you and prove helpful. Your response is always the same. You already know how to do such and such and you're not going to become a "clone" for anybody. If a charge of "arrogance" is to be levelled at any methedology, it should be this one. It's great that you're a free-thinker. That's one way innovation proceeds, and I applaud you for it. Your contempt for established methods, however, is at once unwarranted, unsmart, and indicative of issues that clearly run much deeper than pipes and tobacco. Just stop it.

Todd

P.S. Tyler if you want to take this down after Random has read it that's fine. It's probably not germane to everyone, but I thought it important to say. Either way is fine, but this mess should stop. From now on, abstinance for my part.
jeff

Post by jeff »

random wrote:
jeff wrote: Todd-clone? Would you suggest that I become Random-clone?
I would suggest that you think for yourself.
jeff wrote: I, for one, have used the methods employed by Todd in the construction of his own pipes and found his advice, method, and engineering to be excellent. The overall visual quality, attention to detail, and smoking characteristics that one gains using the methods that he has developed and adapted from Eltang, et. al. are second to none.
All hail Todd. Beware the belief that you have learned it all. "second to none" makes me laugh. Why? Because it implies that you have looked at everything and tried it all. You have simply accepted Todd as your Master and stopped thinking for yourself. That's close enough to clonage for engineering purposes.
Random,

This is not the first time you have done this. Do you only read selected lines from posts or do your eyes gravitate to certain lines with the explicit purpose of tearing them out of context? Honestly, it does not appear that you even read my post, but that you saw the name "Todd" and had some sort of visceral reaction causing you to isolate key words and eisegete my statements to bolster your own case. I think that you would do well to actually read things thoroughly before making ignorant and imprudent comments on them.

You are making an assessment that you are altogether unqualified to make. Having never seen in person, held, or smoked a pipe constructed by me, your opinion is of little value.
Random wrote:Now you are a shrink too, huh? Laughing
Todd may not be, but that was my undergrad training and after I consult with the DSMIV I should be able to give a diagnosis. Interested? :wink:

Todd_Pytel, Random is right about the Micromark lathe. That's the same one that I have and is pretty good. It is produced by and built to similar specs as the Harbor Freight/Grizzly models. They all come out of the Seig factory in China. This one, however, has some added advantages in that it has the longer bed length and the digital readout. As to the stock chuck, it is okay, but I am going to update when I get the chance. It is less than accurate and the jaws are a bit too short for some jobs that I need it for. Also, as Random pointed out the hole through the chuck and gear housing is a bit small, but that can be changed with a larger chuck. If I am correct, the chuck is a tad smaller than the hole, so a different chuck should open it up a bit.

Jeff
Last edited by jeff on Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:You've exhorted me on any number of occasions to do things the way you do them, to buy bamboo from you, and so forth. Part of the reason I no longer read any private mail from you.
Random, I offered to give you some bamboo because I had a lot of it. I thought it might be able to function as a resource for you to generate some income. I also offered to sell you my briar at my cost, but you brought us to an impass on that front. You may refer to me with your characteristically vulgar epithets, but do not insinuate that I pressured you to buy bamboo when you couldn't pay for groceries. I'm not like that and I deplore the sort of behavior in others that you have, on several occasions, attributed to me. I have always wanted you to succeed at this and have made numerous efforts directed at helping you do so in the past. Of course these have all come to naught. I haven't the energies left to be frustrated by you anymore. Instead I think I just feel very sorry for you. Despite your rugged individualism, if you ever find that I can be of any help to you, just send me an e-mail and let me know.

Todd
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

DRAT! YET ANOTHER PERFECTLY USEFUL POST HIJACKED BY THE RvT FUED! :evil:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote: Random, I offered to give you some bamboo because I had a lot of it. I thought it might be able to function as a resource for you to generate some income. I also offered to sell you my briar at my cost, but you brought us to an impass on that front.
You're quite correct. I have no use for bamboo even for free. However it was you who brought us to an impasse regarding briar:
I can see how, from your perspective, that may be quite true.

random wrote:
ToddJohnson wrote:To complete this transaction, I will
>require three things:
>
>1. A certified check or M.O. covering cost + shipping
>2. Your word never to divulge or advertise my name as a briar source
>3. Your first name
Random, the offer is still on the table if you need it. As I told you then, I have a personal policy that I don't do business or charity with anyone I can't call by name. I don't know what you've done or who's looking for you, but I don't involve myself in cloak and dagger dealings.
Or, simply put, your "offers of help" were false and worthless.
Random, I simply have zero stake in whether or not you do things sensibly--or particularly whether or not you do things the way I do. I didn't (and don't) want to see you starve or freeze in your trailer. I suggested some things that I thought might help prevent that, but you saw them the way you see everything--as someone trying to "bend you to their will." If I ignored any questions you might have asked after our last exchange, then I'm sorry. Having one's advice scorned and labelled as "arrogance" gets old. Nonetheless, if you still have questions please send them to me and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

Todd
bmoz

Taig with a riser

Post by bmoz »

I purchased a riser for my taig which raises the clearance enough to turn a stummel...no canadian pipes mind you, but enough to get me started.
magruder

Post by magruder »

I, too, am quite interested in the least expensive Jet 920 anyone has found.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: