P0712

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ND Pipes

P0712

Post by ND Pipes »

This pipe was made using a piece of briar from Italy. She has several rings – two acrylic ones and one padauk wood ring.
Mouthpiece was made using an acrylic rod, turned on lathe to roughly shape it and finished by hand.

"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
wdteipen

Re: P0712

Post by wdteipen »

The briar finish on this one is very interesting. I'm not sold on the use of paduak with it though. My eyes keep getting drawn straight to the paduak interrupting the flow. In this case, something a bit less contrasting would work better, IMHO. Perhaps something like boxwood, olivewood, or even better, spalted maple. That being said, it is still a super nice pipe. I'd like to see what else you can do with that finish. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

I like it Daniel, especially the shape! I can see Wayne's thoughts though, the contrast is a bit distracting. But, meh, overall cool stuff!
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

hheheheh - thanks guys :)
... i wanted to get that contrast... :) hehehehe.... similar to Dragon Hammer but in that case the contrast is far better with black acrylic and padauk wood... :)...
:)

maxmil

Post by maxmil »

All your pipes are magnificent work, I like both this, as the P0812.
Best regards.
Félix

Todas tus pipas son unos magníficos trabajos; me gusta tanto esta, como la P0812.
Saludos.
Félix
andrew

Post by andrew »

I'll second the others, paduak is distracting, but otherwise this is really interesting to look at. I like it.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

it is suposed to pop out... :)... i wanted to get her more alive... you could use morta or boxwood or something more neutral but then - where is the fun :) right :) :) heheheheheheh

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That contrast really pops. It almost looks like you used blue dye for the contrast stain. What exactly did you use, if you don't mind me asking.

Very sharp. I personally like the paduak insert. Great job
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

black staining i am using sometimes (wood dependent) gives me that blueish colour... it was not my intention to make it like that... the wood sometimes makes it look like that... i liked it, so i did not use any other staining there... :)
oh... the black stain i am using is called Negrosin and it is used in piano industry for staining old pianos while making them smooth and shinny by hand (this is how they used to make pianos shine long time ago).... :)

Growley

Post by Growley »

I'm always excited to see what your newest pipe is going to look like. I particularly like how this one turned out. How did you get the "white" look? Do you have a white stain?

I don't mind the paddock for contrast, but my eye want's to see it somewhere else on the pipe as well to tie it in. I think if there were a way to incorporate a paddock ring inlay on the rim or even a rim stained to match that would work...for me :D.

That's the thing I guess, when you're no longer botching stem/shank junctions, shank/bowl transitions, buttons, finishes, or shapes, the majority of what's left to critique on is personal opinion based.

Oh, the only other personal opinion based critique on this one is that I didn't like the flat bottom. For me it was one of those, "Things that make you go, hmmm."

Great work as always.

Brian.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

Brian - thanks for your comment...
related padauk ring - i can't make it... the lathe i am using will not allow me to do that - but that would sure look cool :) :) :)
white stain - well, i have to talk to my friend (photographer)... the pipe looks a bit on the Indigo colour and a bit white - this is not true... she is in fact more on brown and black/blue... to much light on this one i guess as with the other one (P0812) that turned kind of green but she is not in fact - she is more brown that green....oh well, we will have to remove this in future pic's...

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I like it, a lot. And as for the pop of the accent, it works for me.

I also like a flared shank on pipes, seems to appeal to me and this one really appeals to me.

Keep up the great work!
Pipe Maker in the Making!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

Beautiful pipe and beautiful grey finish. I agree with Wayne, though, about the padauk accent. It's not, in my humble opine, that I think they necessarily look bad together. All in all, this is a very pretty pipe. But when I saw that soft, grey stain on the briar, I just wanted to see more of it. It reminded me, actually of that soft blue grey color on Wallenstein's "rock" pipes.

I can't remember who said it (maybe Marty Pulvers?) but, it was something to the effect that whenever he looks all over a pipe (and doesn't get stuck in one area, visually), that's a great pipe. Not saying this is not a great pipe (it's gorgeous) and, for this pipe, I'm getting really nit-picky, but, that finish is just gorgeous and I'd love to see more like that (maybe without any kind of accent). There's a raw beauty to it that I think should not be messed with and it really makes the viewer focus on your excellent shaping and overal design composition.

Again, beautiful pipe! Great work. Thanks for sharing it.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

hmmm - yes - i know what you mean...
well, she can be in that direction too... i made the first one like that.. this one is more in another direction...
i really am not sure if either of those directions (to have details that pop out or not) is the right way... she looks nice to me and she is, but she could also be uniform and without those details... what direction to choose to be better... probably none of us can tell as this is probably just a matter of taste...
i am, for sure, not the one to know... but she looks nice ot me so i guess she is o.k. :) :)
thanks guys for comments - much appreciated... :)