Lathe headstock adapter???

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Gershom

Lathe headstock adapter???

Post by Gershom »

I have an old Craftsman wood lathe (1940's) with a 1"x8tpi spindle. I found some chucks with 3/4"x10tpi threads, I need an adapter to go between them.

So, I need an adapter to fit onto a 1"x8tpi spindle, with male threads that are 3/4"x10tpi.

I have not been able to find one online. Anyone know where I could find it?

Thanks!
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Lathe headstock adapter???

Post by TRS »

Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Thanks man, but this adapter is for a 3/4x16tpi. I measured half an inch, and there were about 5 tips. So I believe it is a 3/4x10tpi.

I guess I could get this one and attempt to thread it on. I think that might be what the last guy did who owned it.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Oops, sorry. I didn't even read your post right. I saw the 3/4 and assumed it was 3/4x16. Never heard of 3/4x10.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Okay, so I did a little research because I'm bored. The only thing I can find is the opposite of what you need; 3/4x10 to 1x8, and it's out of stock. The 3/4x10 size seems to be exclusive to Harbor Freight lathes and the adapters are made so you can attach other brands of chucks to them. Are the chucks you're looking at Harbor Freight brand? If so, you might be out of luck. There doesn't seem to be a reverse adapter available. This could be auspicious though, in that it can save you from buying a Harbor Freight chuck. :D
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I have two chucks that are the odd size, and I bought them second hand. I am unsure of their brand. I know that they fit onto a Buffalo wood lathe, but you know, I noticed that the female threads on the chucks seemed to be cross-threaded, so maybe they are 16tpi, but he forced them onto a 10tpi spindle. Maybe I will try a 16tpi adapter and see if it fits. Does Harbor Freight carry Buffalo? I will look and see.

Thanks for your boredom search!