Serindipity

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

Serindipity

Post by Nick »

So I am looking for a chuck for my lathe. An internet search turns up the place call Worldwide Chuck Service right her in Ohio - Akron specifically. Well, thinks I, that'd cut down on shipping. Well I email them asking what they'd reccoment. They guy emails me back asking som specifics about the lathe, and suggests I give him a call. So I call him. He asks me some more details about the chucks used for pipe making, and if I'd send him a few pictures. He then starts telling me about this Rohm chuck, saying that new it'd cost upwards of $1000.00. I about gag as he says this! He says don't worry, we'll come to some arrangement. He then asks me about my pipes. How I make them? What shapes I do? Standard or freehand? That sort of thing. I'm of course happy to talk about pipes with just about anyone. Well it turns out that he's a pipe smoker, and says we might be able to make a trade! WOOHOOO! The pics I sent him were from Ken Lamb's sight, so maybe he'll even be able to do somthing like that!

Anyway, I was just excited and thought I'd share.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

NICK! That's awesome! I've been waiting for an opportunity for something like that. In fact, I had a few email diologues with a prominent pipe maker about exchaning work on his website for briar. I don't think he decided to go for it in the end but he was *interested* at first...

Good job!