Facing tool circles

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
TRS
Site Supporter

Facing tool circles

Post by TRS »

I've gotten some relatively smooth stem faces, but most of the time my facing tool leaves little concentric circles on the face of the stock. I've tried different facing bit profiles and different angles of approach, as well as making sure my facing tool is centered. Is it possible this is a speed issue? I think 1200-1300rpms is the most I can coax out of my lathe. Thank you

Tim
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Facing tool circles

Post by Tyler »

Bit profile and sharpness matters a lot, as does the speed you feed the tool. Also, you can take more than one pass to clean things up.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I'll keep taking cracks at it. I've tried a bit I ground myself as well as a bit I bought. I've also gone multiple passes. What would you recommend for feed rate, fast or sloooow? Thanks Tyler
Charl

Post by Charl »

I do at 1000rpm, and find that if I do the final pass and make it a very thin fine cut, it seems to leave a smoother surface. Also, the front angle need to be very close and only slightly off the line of the cut, I found.
I still sometime get the face looking as if the bit sort of burnt/scorched it. Maybe because the bit is not sharp enough??
AaronC

Post by AaronC »

BeatusLiebowitz wrote:I'll keep taking cracks at it. I've tried a bit I ground myself as well as a bit I bought. I've also gone multiple passes. What would you recommend for feed rate, fast or sloooow? Thanks Tyler
I'm still hand cutting my tennons on a wood lathe, but i have a ton of experience on a brake lathe. I'd say make your final cut thin and as slow a feed rate as you can. As long as your bits are sharp that should give you a nice finish.
Charl wrote: Also, the front angle need to be very close and only slightly off the line of the cut, I found.
I still sometime get the face looking as if the bit sort of burnt/scorched it. Maybe because the bit is not sharp enough??
I'd agree :)

Also, excessive vibration will also cause that.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

High rpm.
Slow feed.
Sharp tool.
Sharp tool.
Sharp tool.

And definitely the finishing pass should be a very light cut.

Of course, like Rad, my stem have tool marks on the face, so what do I know?
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Tyler wrote:Of course, like Rad, my stem have tool marks on the face, so what do I know?
:lol: I don't mind some tool marks, but these are pretty distinct and vinyl record-like. If, like Rad, you hoped this helped, it did. Thanks again
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I, too, have tool marks on the face of my stems. I'm not sure it should make that big of a difference like Rad says. I have three of Rad's pipes and could care less that the stem face isn't shiny and polished. I think trying to do so can be counterproductive. Everyone elses mileage may vary. If you come up with a quick and easy way to do it that doesn't booger up the stem fit please share. :D
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I touched the bit on the grinder, took much shallower cuts and slowed down my feed. It's already looking much better. Thanks again fellas!
Tim
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Try a skew chisel you pansy. Rock steady hands. Will. Determination. Man vs Nature. You get the picture.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:Try a skew chisel you pansy. Rock steady hands. Will. Determination. Man vs Nature. You get the picture.
What?!? Booooo! I love my compound tool holder and my home grindeded bits.