Military-Style Mortise/Tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
AAdomeit

Military-Style Mortise/Tenon

Post by AAdomeit »

Does anybody know where I can find a tutorial on how to make these?

I want to make the mortise/tenon joint out of cast sterling silver (my father is a trained silversmith, and I have access to the requisite tools by proxy), but I'm not sure how the threading and what not would work.

Any ideas/tutorials/words of wisdom?
windigofer

Post by windigofer »

As far as briar or other wood pipes, afraid I can't be of much help; I do know with meer and *delrin* or old bone fittings, the standard sizes/threads seem to be:

1/4"-20 (for miniature pipes)
5/16"-18 (for standard sized pipes)

I would *think* that you should be able to get silver tubing to about that size, and for the outer portion/mouthpiece bit, fit it to the diameter of the mouthpiece itself (assuming you aren't rolling your own mouthpieces, that is).

I myself am curious as to how you have had luck with this, or have luck with it. (Silver inlays and/or things like silver mouthpieces for "kiseru" (aka Japanese/Korean style pipes) are things I've thought about but not toyed about with much, largely from lack of metalsmithing equipment)

Also, one thing I *have* seen that looks interesting, I don't know how well it would work for pipemaking (either for silver inlay stuff or for making decorative mouthpieces/etc.)...there is supposedly a product called PMC, Precious Metal Clay...essentially it is a silverbearing clay (and gold and platinum versions also exist) wherein one can mold a piece of artwork (just like clay), fire it in a kiln or using a blowtorch...the "clay" binding material burns off, leaving jewelry quality silver. (There IS shrinkage of around 5-30 percent depending on the particular type of PMC used, but apparently a lot of small-time artisian jewelers have taken interest, if for no other reason than a) it fires to silver and b) it is approximately as easy to work with as Sculpey clay before firing :3)

http://pmcsupply.com is the major supplier of the stuff (and also has helpful hints, largely aimed at jewelers)--if any pipemakers use this stuff either for decorative touches or pipe accessories, please share your experiences :3
AAdomeit

Post by AAdomeit »

Wow - this was an OLD topic!!! Thanks for answering. When I'm not so tired (just got back from being plugged into a couple of super expensive machines), I'll review this and comment futher.

Thanks again!

A.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

windigofer wrote:Also, one thing I *have* seen that looks interesting, I don't know how well it would work for pipemaking (either for silver inlay stuff or for making decorative mouthpieces/etc.)...there is supposedly a product called PMC, Precious Metal Clay...essentially it is a silverbearing clay (and gold and platinum versions also exist) wherein one can mold a piece of artwork (just like clay), fire it in a kiln or using a blowtorch...the "clay" binding material burns off, leaving jewelry quality silver. (There IS shrinkage of around 5-30 percent depending on the particular type of PMC used, but apparently a lot of small-time artisian jewelers have taken interest, if for no other reason than a) it fires to silver and b) it is approximately as easy to work with as Sculpey clay before firing :3)

http://pmcsupply.com is the major supplier of the stuff (and also has helpful hints, largely aimed at jewelers)--if any pipemakers use this stuff either for decorative touches or pipe accessories, please share your experiences :3
Today, after I update my site with about a dozen new offerings, I'm going to be working on a stem ring for a pencil-shanked tulip that has been sitting in my workshop for a while. I have a couple packages of PMC3, the stuff that's easily fired with a blowtorch, and we'll see how it goes. The biggest hurdle, as near as I can figure, is going to be accounting for shrinkage - though if I had made the ring prior to making the shank, that wouldn't be a problem....

Since I'm a complete newbie when it comes to clay work of any kind, this should be be interesting - and probably a little frustrating....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Too neat!