North American Pipe Carvers Contest

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
wdteipen

North American Pipe Carvers Contest

Post by wdteipen »

I know there are several pipe makers on this forum that submitted entries in the North American Pipe Carvers Contest held by the GKCPC. I'm guessing I wasn't selected since I haven't heard anything. I knew it was a long shot anyway. But, I'm curious who the winners were. I'd love to see some fellas from PMF on the list. Has anyone heard anything? The internet is surprisingly pretty mum about it.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Alden

Re: North American Pipe Carvers Contest

Post by Alden »

wdteipen wrote:I know there are several pipe makers on this forum that submitted entries in the North American Pipe Carvers Contest held by the GKCPC. I'm guessing I wasn't selected since I haven't heard anything. I knew it was a long shot anyway. But, I'm curious who the winners were. I'd love to see some fellas from PMF on the list. Has anyone heard anything? The internet is surprisingly pretty mum about it.
I was just about to ask the same thing. Tried googling up an answer, no luck.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I just got back (literally just walked in the door). Wayne, your pipe was really amazing, but unfortunately didn't make the cut. The competition was incredibly stiff! I saw a lot of wonderful pipes. The winner this year is one lucky SOB! Unfortunately my sometimers has gotten the best of me....I can't remember many of the winners. I believe Rad's pipe made the cut.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Rod Davies, Bradley Pohldancer, Steve Liskey, Joe Nelson, Tonni, Thomas James Richards and Chris Morgan.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Bummer. I knew mine wasn't good enough to win with the lineup of carvers participating. It's good to know one way or the other though. I'd still like to see pics of the competition to know what I was up against.
Wayne Teipen
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Thanks Bruce.
Wayne Teipen
Growley

Post by Growley »

Yeah, I'm kind of glad I din't go now. I wouldn't have wanted all those people to see me sobbing so uncontrollably when the winners were announced.

I did hear that they deliberated for hours and hours between mine and Rads though. I guess it came down to a coin toss and I just have no manner of luck. Ha. :wink: Wayne, I think yours was probably "too" good and would have made the other 6 look bad. You know, a set has to look like a set. You can't have one sticking out.

Congrats Rad!!! I know we'll get to see your pipe in the magazine like 3 months from now, but if you took any pictures of it before you sent it off, I'd love to see it.

Brian.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Thanks, Brian! :D

Unfortunately, I took no pics of the pipe before I sent it off to the contest, and from what I've heard, they are pretty strict about not letting anyone take pics of the winners at the show. They don't want pics of the set all over the net before the fall issue of P&T publishes them.

Rad
Nate

Post by Nate »

Congrats to all 7 winners, esp. you Rad! Hopefully this win will help put you on the map! :D
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Thanks for posting the results, Bruce!

Thomas James Richards is a friend of mine and I am elated to see that his pipe was chosen for the set. It looked like there was some seriously stiff competition and a lot of names that went in the hat that I would have imagined as first picks didn't get chosen this time around. I'm really looking forward to seeing the set in the fall issue of P&T!

And a hearty congratulations to you, Rad!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
sethile

Post by sethile »

They posted and were trying to enforce the no photos pretty carefully. That was a problem the first year...
The competition this year was extremely stiff! The pipes that were selected were really amazing, and there were some amazing pipes that were not selected. I looked over the pipes that made it and did not have any issues with the ones that made the cut. They were all very well executed pipes with very nice lines. The judges really had their hands full.

This contest is pretty neat, and it's helping to raise the bar and give some newer American makers some exposure, even those that don't make the cut.. From my perspective, with a very few exceptions there were more and better submissions last year than the first year, and this year was another significant bump up in terms of the quality of the submissions. I think they had 45 submitted in the end.

The GKCPC does a great job with this show! Lots of fun!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------