My third attempt at a freehand.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Gershom

My third attempt at a freehand.

Post by Gershom »

I will bend the stem before I consider it done. What issues do you see with it? Where can I improve?

Thanks for the critiques in advance!
wdteipen

Re: My third attempt at a freehand.

Post by wdteipen »

Nice job following the grain. There's only two things that I see that could be better. The angle of the stem/mortise angles downward and doesn't flow with the shank. It looks like you drilled the mortise on the same plane as your airway. The mortise is rarely the same angle as the airway on bent pipes. The other thing is that your edges around the rim and shank could be a tad more crisp. It looks like they buffed round just a touch.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree with Wayne, but don't tell him. :whisper:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Lookin' good; a major step in the right direction. Love the rim and the grain and the way it's creased. That overhead is your money shot. I think I would have tried to make the chin a little less aggressive but you may be running out of wood.

What they said about the angle of the stem and the angle of the shank. I did the same thing but still have to keep reminding myself to leave the stem in place. I'm always removing it to protect it or get it out of the way but I regret it if I make any design decisions without it in place. I'm trying to document the phases on each pipe at this point and find I'm learning a lot by studying the photographs at each stopping point. Capturing the detail and shifting the scale seems to make some errors in direction painfully obvious.

Good work!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sasquatch wrote:I agree with Wayne, but don't tell him. :whisper:

Too late! I've already written it down in my diary.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com