A couple pipes in the works...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PhilipMarc

A couple pipes in the works...

Post by PhilipMarc »

Alright, the two pipes below are obviously unfinished, but I'm wondering if you guys have any last minute critiques that I might be able to incorporate into the finished product(s). I'm not sure i'm going to finish the canted egg/lovat thing due to the enormous flaws :banghead: . Does someone with sandblasting experience know if it would be possible to sandblast the egg and hide those flaws? Seems like they might be too large to hide. Would rustication do it? I've never rusticated a pipe before because I hate the way it looks but I'd rather rusticate it than throw it away.

www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
The Smoking Yeti

Re: A couple pipes in the works...

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Rustication'd be possible if it was nice n' deep. I think something to watch on the egg'd be the taper of the shank. It doesn't look seamless all the way down. Right up near the bowl on the top can you see how it sorta flattens out?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Yes! You're right. I still haven't finished shaping the shank yet. I stopped when I realized how deep those fissures went.
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
collinthib

Post by collinthib »

I really like the first one. What are your plans to finish it? It'll be interesting to see it finished.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

But yeah, given the flaws in the briar I am all for practicing your rustication on the second one. It's why I did my first rustication.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sandblasting in a very real sense hides nothing. You can get around certain basically cosmetic issues with blasting, but a big fissure like that might look worse after blasting.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!