Files

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
buster

Files

Post by buster »

What type of files do you use and what do you use them for? Currently I am working with those Nicholson files that come in the set of four with wooden handles, a larger Nicholson bastard file, and one small diamond file. I reall like the wooden handle Nicholson files, but wish they were small needle type files. Does anyone have suggestions for smaller files that will cut like the small wooden handle Nicholson files? Anyone have experience with swiss pattern files? Sorry, I drink a few beers and ramble.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Files

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I have not- however I have heard WONDERFUL things about these files: http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2080472 ... Files.aspx

Here at some point I'm going to buy a few for myself, but as far as high end files, these are the ones I have heard the best things about.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
mredmond
Site Supporter

Files

Post by mredmond »

I haven't used any of the Nicholson files, but I do have a few of the Iwasaki files and I like them a lot. I don't see myself using anything else, anytime soon.

Micah
Alden

Post by Alden »

Most of my files are pre 1970's so I cant help you much. I bought all of mine at Estate Sales and sent them to Boggs Tool in California to be resharpened. I dont know if its the Boggs treatment or the old steel in these files, but they seriously kick the ass of the Nicholson files I picked up new at Lowes.
Boggs says they stock all kind of files and sharpen them before sending. Probably you could email them a picture of your file and tell them what size your looking for with that particular cut.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I've been using the iwasaki files for a few years now. They're great, just take some time to learn how to use them. They CUT, they don't scrape, so you really have to pay attention to the grain.
Nicholson files are fine, you just need to be prepared for the fact that you may need to take a burr or two off.
My personal favorite file brand now is Gesswein. They have a file selection that is just... well its fantastic. Good customer service too.
The next brand I'm going to try is Grobet.