My number 3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
scotties22

My number 3

Post by scotties22 »

I drilled this by hand about a month ago and then forgot about it. I found it while I was working on my second pipe and decided to finish it. I did rebend the stem after I took the pictures (thanks Ocelot for the suggestion). I also resanded the chamber to get the stain out. Let me know what you think and if you see anything that needs fixin.

The last picture is a little washed out. Sorry about that, I'm still honing my photo skills :oops:

Thanks for looking.

Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Cory

Re: My number 3

Post by Cory »

Few things I see right off the bat:

1. Stem/shank joint. Gap,mismatched diameters, and conflicting taper. Remember to keep your stem attached when shaping. Not only does this ensure equal (or really close) diameters, but also prevents rounding the edges which is one of the causes of the infamous gap.

2. You need to define the cheeks a bit more. This will also help with the taper problem I mentioned above (most noticeable in pictures 3 and 4).

3. The bottom of the pipe isn't quite symmetrical. If you look at the last picture, the left side could use some sanding/filing to even it out a bit.

4. Also your draft hole comes a bit high in the tobacco chamber - will probably leave some unburned tobacco towards the end of a bowl.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Thanks Cory,

You are right on all accounts. I gave up on the gap. The more I tried to fix it the worse it got. I didn't face the shank before I fit the stem and it was all downhill from there. I have an apple going now that I paid extra attention to that area and it looks much better. I see what you mean about the cheeks and the bottom of the pipe. I had overlooked both. The draft hole does come into the chamber about 1/8 of an inch too high. I got a little froggy on the drill trigger and went a little deep with the chamber. Thanks for the critique.

Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

The "chin" needs to be taken down.

EDIT: I can't tell if it's the chin that's too large or the front wall that's not even. I'm assuming this is a dublin, and if so the walls should be pretty straight all the way around the bowl, but the front wall is a little convex.
Also the shank is not defined. It's very square; material needs to be taken off the sides of the shank.
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I confess...I sat down and started on this with nary a thought as to what I wanted it to be. Its not really a dublin and not really a freehand. It truly has no design and now I see the fault in that.
www.ladybriar.com
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Yeah it's a good idea to have an idea before you get started as to what the pipe will be. Your first pipes will not come out as planned anyway, but it's still a good idea to have a plan, because then your flaws are quantifiable, and you can actually take real steps to getting better. If you don't have a defined shape, there's no right and wrong, and it's all just a matter of opinion, which won't make you a better pipe maker. Master the classics!!!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

PhilipMarc wrote:Yeah it's a good idea to have an idea...
There is a joke in there somewhere...

Scottie,

You and I already talked about this pipe, so I won't rehash all that. I will say that this is an improvement. Pipemaking takes lots of patience and practice, and you already have a great start. Please keep making more! :thumbsup:
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Ocelot55 wrote: Pipemaking takes lots of patience and practice, and you already have a great start. Please keep making more! :thumbsup:
I second that. You obviously have some talent; it just needs to be developed. Keep it up!

My last critique (I promise), is that I think the tobacco chamber is too large for this pipe. The chamber walls look a little thin, which is more about function than form. It might be less comfortable to hold while smoking. Did you use 3/4" or 7/8" (or metric equivalent)? In almost ALL of my early pipes, I was using 7/8" because I thought "Well, MORE tobacco is MORE delicious...so I want the biggest chamber commonly in use." I now use 3/4" almost exclusively. Less tobacco, but also more pleasurable to smoke.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

It was a rather large, medium, block of wood. I used a 7/8 bit for the chamber. I made it for my mom and she holds her pipes by the shank, so we might be okay. I did realize, much too late that I had taken the walls down a bit too much....damn that symmetry. I thought about making the chamber shorter, but I really like the skin on the plateaux so I left it as is.

Making more isn't a problem, I am hooked. It's sooooo bad that while I was cooking dinner last night my husband was out rooting through my wood stash looking for a piece to carve. I'll let you know how his turns out. He doesn't want any help, but has cruised my Pimo book quite a few times and does have a good head for things of this nature. Don't worry, I'll post pics.

Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

For a third pipe this is good.

Just to stick in your mind for future reference, the slight bulge at the stem/shank junction should be filed down. You want clean smooth lines, especially on a long stem like that. It's just something that sticks out since there is so much stem.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Your mom smokes a pipe?! That is sweet! Does your whole family?
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

They will, just as soon as I finish making one for all of them :D
www.ladybriar.com
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello,
Ocelot55 wrote:Pipemaking takes lots of patience and practice, and you already have a great start. Please keep making more!
I think so too. make more and more and more :wink: .
Best wishes
Tommi
my English is bad