Nosewarmer Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
PhilipMarc

Nosewarmer Billiard

Post by PhilipMarc »

Here's a little nosewarmer I started this evening. I plan on thinning out the shank and making it more even/straight down the full length, refining the inside of the stem, tweaking the shaping on the bottom of the pipe (not perfectly even from left to right), and obviously sanding the top of the bowl smooth and finishing up the pipe. I wasn't very meticulous with this one because I was not at all excited about the briar. It was an inexpensive little ebauchon that I picked up. Any other suggestions before I finish it up? Also, any suggestions on color considering I'm using a cumberland stem?

www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
wdteipen

Re: Nosewarmer Billiard

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad. As for color, I think Cumberland loods best with black or an orange/red that matches the swirl in the stem. Since you've used acrylic cumberland, I would go with an orange to pull out the muted swirls.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Thanks for the suggestion! :D
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

I would have thought you would want to rusticate to disguise the blemishes so I'll be curious as to how you handle the finish and how it turns out.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I was with Hudson on the Rustication- however, I'm think Teipen might have the best advice stainwise- I think you've got some pretty good proportions on this nosewarmer- usually they turn out pretty awkward, but I think you're doing this one right.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Rusticating it is still an option. The grain of the pipe is horri-awful (that's horrible and awful mixed together), and there is that one really unsightly pit on the rear of the bowl. I tried rusticating a pipe yesterday and I absolutely hated it. I mean I really HATED it. I have only seen a few rustication methods that I really liked, most from Michael Parks, but I'm not sure how he does it. I suppose that's the point of trade secrets though, yes? :lol: Anybody have links to rustication techniques that don't produce that typical craggy feces-style rusticated pipe? No offense to those who like that, I just never could come to terms with it.
Growley

Post by Growley »

That's a pretty cool little pipe Cory. I like the dimensions.
Tommi

Post by Tommi »

Hello,
i agree with Growley, like the dimensions.
Greetings
Tommi
my English is bad