tomato

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
sam a

tomato

Post by sam a »

hi guys... just finished up another pipe and would really appreciate any critiques, advice, or ideas for improvement. thanks.

i even sanded the chamber :lol:
Alden

Re: tomato

Post by Alden »

Dude, you're cranking out some cool pipes.
baronstrasil

Post by baronstrasil »

Very nice a little baby :)))) congrat dear papa :)))
P.S.PIPES | http://www.slazanski.com | skype: baronstrasil | email: baronslyzo@gmail.com |
PhilipMarc

Post by PhilipMarc »

Is that a hand cut stem? If so, the button work is very nice and I think you did great on the length in relation to the pipe. If not, where do I buy those stems? :lol:

This reminds of me of the Tsuge (Kaga) smooth bent pot shape, with a little bit of American influence. I like it.

I think I see two things that could use improvement. One is that in the top-view picture, it seems the left and right walls of the pipe are of different thickness, though that might be exaggerated by the angle. Secondly, in the second picture, I can see a couple of leftover gouges that weren't completely sanded out.

Lastly (and this is partially a matter of preference), the color is very nice, but it might have been good to do a darker contrast stain since the briar doesn't have very exciting grain.
www.ThePipeGuys.com • Philip Marc • Pipemaker • New Jersey
Growley

Post by Growley »

That's a great little pipe. I really like the color and the curves. Nice job on the stem too. There a few preferential things I'd change, but that would be to make it "my" pipe, which it's not. I think it's great the way it is.

Very pretty!
sam a

Post by sam a »

PhilipMarc wrote:Is that a hand cut stem? .

yeah... its hand cut.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a really nice pipe with a good overall aesthetic balance and flow. The only thing I see that could be improved is the stem and shank aren't perpendicular if that makes sense. I suspect that, if you rotated the stem, the fit would be way off. You can really see it in the second picture.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sam a

Post by sam a »

wdteipen wrote: The only thing I see that could be improved is the stem and shank aren't perpendicular if that makes sense. I suspect that, if you rotated the stem, the fit would be way off. You can really see it in the second picture.
not sure i understand what you mean, you mind breaking it down for me?
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I believe he is saying that your shank and the tenon do not meet at a 90 degree angle. Basically your mortise is not drilled into the shank at 90 degrees, so when you rotate the stem the angles wont match up- which can be an issue.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
sam a

Post by sam a »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I believe he is saying that your shank and the tenon do not meet at a 90 degree angle. Basically your mortise is not drilled into the shank at 90 degrees, so when you rotate the stem the angles wont match up- which can be an issue.
i don't understand how you could even do that and still have a flush shank face/ stem face fit, unless your tenon was also at an angle from the face of the stem, and in that case i would think you couldn't rotate the stem at all. :?:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Yeah that's just how I interpreted what he said. I may be wrong, sorry lol
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Cory

Post by Cory »

sam a wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:I believe he is saying that your shank and the tenon do not meet at a 90 degree angle. Basically your mortise is not drilled into the shank at 90 degrees, so when you rotate the stem the angles wont match up- which can be an issue.
i don't understand how you could even do that and still have a flush shank face/ stem face fit, unless your tenon was also at an angle from the face of the stem, and in that case i would think you couldn't rotate the stem at all. :?:
As long as your tenon and mortise are parallel, then it is very possible. If your stem face (the side towards the pipe) is cut at an angle, but the tenon is straight, this could happen. You would then, in order to create a flush fit, cut the shank at an angle. This creates an unfortunate reality in which they only line up perfect in one orientation. See below:

The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Your mortise is perpendicular to the shank face just fine so you get a clean connection. What I'm saying is that the plane that you faced your shank and drilled your mortise is not perpendicular to the line of your shank. It's tilted towards the stem a bit.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sam a

Post by sam a »

ahhh... gotcha. thanks for explaining. all this shank face tenon talk reminded me photos of those might be helpful for critique.

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Great job Sam! The lines of this pipe are uber sexy.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Cory

Post by Cory »

wdteipen wrote:No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Your mortise is perpendicular to the shank face just fine so you get a clean connection. What I'm saying is that the plane that you faced your shank and drilled your mortise is not perpendicular to the line of your shank. It's tilted towards the stem a bit.
:D Woops.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Scrumptious.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker
JMG

Post by JMG »

Can I have this pipe?
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Sam, might I inquire how far along you are in your pipemaking career. This little tomato is absolutely phenomenal.
sam a

Post by sam a »

Ocelot55 wrote:Sam, might I inquire how far along you are in your pipemaking career. This little tomato is absolutely phenomenal.
thanks... i certainly wouldn't call it a "career" yet, maybe someday :) . i really haven't been keeping track of how many pipes i've done now, but i'd say roughly a dozen give or take one or two.