UniqueBriar,s Poker Pipe.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
uniquebriar

UniqueBriar,s Poker Pipe.

Post by uniquebriar »

A Poker pipe i whipped up for your consideration any critique would be welcomed please let me know what you think.
Last edited by uniquebriar on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
Sasquatch

Re: UniqueBriar,s Poker Pipe.

Post by Sasquatch »

I have a generic criticism on all the pipes you've listed tonight - you are losing the shank shape, cutting a "waste" on all your pipes, and if that's the shape of a pipe, fine, but if you are trying to cut a straight rhodesion, it doesn't need it and simply looks like you rusticated "too far".

On this pipe, the look is especially accentuated. On the shank, the rustication is a couple mm lower than the smooth band at the stem. On other areas of the pipe, the transition between smooth and rustic does not show that much (or any) physical relief. So here's a pipe with a huge, rigidly shaped bowl, with well defined top and sides, and this funny puny shapeless shank that looks like a beaver's been at it. It really detracts from all the hard work done on the bowl.

Again, it's not to say that this shank idea wouldn't ever work, but it doesn't work on this pipe. It almost looks flimsy because the bowl is huge and the stem is sizeable too.

You're doing all kinds of interesting stuff both visually and with the texture, but you need not to lose the shape and the identity of the pipe in doing so.

The bowl top on this pipe is enticing.

The top view showing the stem 3 degrees to port is.... less enticing.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

[quote="Sasquatch"] in this pipe, the look is especially accentuated. On the shank, the rustication is a couple mm lower than the smooth band at the stem.
Yup your absolutely right about that 1 i hope never go to deep in rusticating the shank again. Thx for the POV Sas i really appreciate it.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
meathod

Post by meathod »

I really like the lines you've got going on the rim there. The little lip going right around the edge of the chamber is very nice!
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I agree. I like everything about the bowl. Nice rustication shape and design elements. I think if you could have left the shank smooth it would work much better. Maybe even cut some Rhodesian type rings I.nThe shank to hide pits if you had to. Revisit the design again later, it's definatly a winner.
Hudson

Post by Hudson »

Piling on here . . . the bowl is great but I'd lose the shank and stem as is. I'd try a piece of hickory or reed as a shank, something in a cherrywood vein, natural and elegant. Congratulations on the bowl; I'd fight to keep her in the game.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"Creativity is the residue of time wasted."

Albert Einstein, famous pipe smoker