A Cut Above

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sasquatch

A Cut Above

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, naturally, all my pipes are a cut above (marf marf) but here's the first two I cut from Makis' (ACutAbove) briar out of Greece, and I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing.

This pipe is absolutely huge, one of the biggest I've cut, and the block was absolutely flawless all the way through. One of the most perfect large blocks I've ever seen. Chamber depth is 2 1/2" and the pipe is about 7" overall.

This is a more reasonable size. I really like the calabash/urn shape of the Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipe (formerly the xl15 now the xl11 I think...). So I do that kind of thing once in awhile. Seemed like a way of showing off a lot of grain in this case.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
d.huber

Re: A Cut Above

Post by d.huber »

The committee would like to thank Sasquatch (Todd Bannard) for his continued compliance with the terms and conditions of forum membership. In particular the numberous photos that he posts of his work.

Nate, you could learn a thing or two from Todd. PAY ATTENTION!

That is an enormous pipe, Todd. They both look great! Looks like ACutAbove has not let you down.

Something that is often surprising to me about photos of pipes is that they cannot ever tell the whole story of a pipe. I've never been particularly awestruck by your pipes when viewed online. However, I got to see one in person at the CPCC meeting a few months ago and I'll happily say you make very VERY pretty pipes, my friend. Nicely done! :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Oh dude I take shitty photos. Never pretended otherwise. I'm so happy that I have a digital camera... this whole thing is like a magical christmas, eggnog included. Imagine being able to make a pipe, take a picture of it, and show it off on the interwebz!

Pretty low aspirations, huh?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

And here I thought you were a dude, Uberhuberman. You need to make that picture you posted your new avatar so as not to deceive us any further. I'm equally vexed because you look much different in person. Not sure how you're pulling that off.

Oh, and really nice pipes, Todd. I'm with you on those shapes. Aesthetically, they are a couple of my favorites and you're shaping is even better than Peterson's IMHO. It's hard to tell in the photos but the first pipe looks like the grain is a bit bland. Is it the blonde finish and photo or is the grain really a bit bland? The grain on the second is nice.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's bland. Dead regular, flawless, straight (fanned out), but kind of bland, for sure. And the shape didn't make the most of it, I don't think.

It seems pretty unusual to find really big blocks with tight even grain. I've had a few, must have been real old, suffering trees. But most of the real huge blocks have much less of that real tight dense graining than the smaller blocks.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Three of your pics are dead links.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

No.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I dunno. The grain it does show fits the shape nicely if you ask me. It's a good looking pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

It's all right, and in a very real way, you'd have a tough time finding a nicer cut in a pipe shop.

But really, it just comes down to me getting a big block of briar and saying "Yay, I could could ANOTHER gigantic bent billiard!" It's like a disease.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Totally didn't mean to judge your photos. The photos observation was meant as a universal "photos don't do pipes justice" comment. Besides, it's not like my photos are that great. They're fuzzy and make a serious attempt at cocky pretension that I haven't earned. :P

@Wayne: Lol! You've clearly never seen me with long hair. Seriously though, that photo just seemed to communicate a joking attitude that I liked. Not sure it worked. :P

-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That photo makes me feel funny. She's cute, she's edgy, she's way to young for me to even look at. Did I mention she's cute?
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Sasquatch wrote:That photo makes me feel funny. She's cute, she's edgy, she's way to young for me to even look at. Did I mention she's cute?
She'll also put you in your place. And for a price, she'll do it with whips. :shock:

-Tyler Beard
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

UberHuberMan wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:That photo makes me feel funny. She's cute, she's edgy, she's way to young for me to even look at. Did I mention she's cute?
She'll also put you in your place. And for a price, she'll do it with whips. :shock:

I'd pay to see that.

Oh, and very nice pipes, Sas. I have one question: Do you call that second pipe a "sasabash" or a "calasquatch?"
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Well, if you don't care what your pipes look like, neither do I.

(You know it's a compliment)
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
uniquebriar

Post by uniquebriar »

Well Sas i love the grain on both pipes those sure looks like gems. Both looks well executed thanks for sharing.
Hand Crafted Pipes
http://uniquebriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Ocelot55 wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:

I'd pay to see that.

Oh, and very nice pipes, Sas. I have one question: Do you call that second pipe a "sasabash" or a "calasquatch?"
Sasabashquatch I think. :mrgreen:
andrew

Post by andrew »

That blonde one is fantastic.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I've said that myself in any number of locales.
Cory

Post by Cory »

I don't think it is fair that you made far superior pipes than me out of blocks from the same supplier. Which brings me to my point: your pipes suck and so do you.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

UberHuberMan wrote:@Wayne: Lol! You've clearly never seen me with long hair. Seriously though, that photo just seemed to communicate a joking attitude that I liked. Not sure it worked. :P

Oh, I think it worked great. You look really sassy in that photo. :lol:
Wayne Teipen