need some help with this nail tool!!

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
timothy thorpe

need some help with this nail tool!!

Post by timothy thorpe »

so i finally made the nail tool, my question is that the compression tip moves around. how would this work??
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: need some help with this nail tool!!

Post by Tyler »

I'm at a loss...it's screwed on tightly, right?
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

timothy thorpe wrote:so i finally made the nail tool, my question is that the compression tip moves around. how would this work??
I've had the same problem with mine. I think larger nails might be a solution.
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hi Tyler, yes, rad has helped me. nails into an oak dowl with epoxy. im just looking to add another tool to the shop that all :P
Growley

Post by Growley »

Ocelot55 wrote:
timothy thorpe wrote:so i finally made the nail tool, my question is that the compression tip moves around. how would this work??
I've had the same problem with mine. I think larger nails might be a solution.
Same problem here too. I gave up trying to use it. I just don't get how the insert deal is supposed to tighten down on the nails. Maybe I got the wrong insert or something...

I've always heard "you have to be smarter than what you're working with." That's probably my problem :wink:

If anyone wanted to post a Home Depot or Lowes link to the part that screws in to the pipe, I'd be grateful.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Take 5 dry wall screws and grind off the heads. Drill a hole in an oak dowel that will accommodate(snugly) the 5 screws, pointy end out. Drill the hole so that about 1/2 inch of screw stick out the dowel. Put the screws in the hole in the dowel(pointy end out). Fill the hole with epoxy. Cut the dowel the length that feels comfortable in your hand. This is your handle. Round off the end opposite the screws, so it doesn't dig into your palm when you're using it.

When the epoxy cures, you're all done.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:Take 5 dry wall screws and grind off the heads. Drill a hole in an oak dowel that will accommodate(snugly) the 5 screws, pointy end out. Drill the hole so that about 1/2 inch of screw stick out the dowel. Put the screws in the hole in the dowel(pointy end out). Fill the hole with epoxy. Cut the dowel the length that feels comfortable in your hand. This is your handle. Round off the end opposite the screws, so it doesn't dig into your palm when you're using it.

Rad
What on earth for? Did I stumble upon the "Home Defense" section of the forum???
andrew

Post by andrew »

Tomorrow will expound on the proper deployment of the "nail tool".
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Here are the pictures from what I tried to explain.. it's not rocket science, and rather simple application of a left over spade bit shank

You just take your time and twist your heart away... I also have two versions of Tylers when I want a rougher finish

james

SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Nail tool = nails and compression fitting as far as I know.

I used diamond point nails that were intended for pressure treated wood. Cut them purdy dang short, crammed (had to hammer in the last one, it was a tight fit) them into a compression fitting and tightened the fitting as much as I could without ripping the skin off my hands. The brass compression ring is just barely visible in the second picture. Just clamp the thing down and go to town with a closed box wrench, but it has to be darn tight before you even start with the compression nut and you can still see mine turned a little bit before the nails locked in place.
Hello, I'm #1312.
That's a really big number.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

How silly... just use your sand blaster!
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

You're lucky I'm not using my fork.
Hello, I'm #1312.
andrew

Post by andrew »

SchmidtN wrote:Nail tool = nails and compression fitting as far as I know.

I used diamond point nails that were intended for pressure treated wood. Cut them purdy dang short, crammed (had to hammer in the last one, it was a tight fit) them into a compression fitting and tightened the fitting as much as I could without ripping the skin off my hands. The brass compression ring is just barely visible in the second picture. Just clamp the thing down and go to town with a closed box wrench, but it has to be darn tight before you even start with the compression nut and you can still see mine turned a little bit before the nails locked in place.
I think you might want to check your sink. It is probably leaking... or flooding.
SchmidtN

Post by SchmidtN »

Look, would you rather have hot water from the bathroom sink, or a pipe with no visible pits on it? It's one or the other.
Hello, I'm #1312.
Mark Beattie

Post by Mark Beattie »

RadDavis wrote:Take 5 dry wall screws and grind off the heads. Drill a hole in an oak dowel that will accommodate(snugly) the 5 screws, pointy end out. Drill the hole so that about 1/2 inch of screw stick out the dowel. Put the screws in the hole in the dowel(pointy end out). Fill the hole with epoxy. Cut the dowel the length that feels comfortable in your hand. This is your handle. Round off the end opposite the screws, so it doesn't dig into your palm when you're using it.

Rad
+1. Thanks Rad.