Author Pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Mark Beattie

Author Pipe

Post by Mark Beattie »

This is my first attempt at an Author shape. The block that I had started with dictated a shorter shank length than I had hoped for, but I nevertheless continued with this shape. I was a little overzealous with my file when shaping the shank which created a slight dip on the underside. Besides some finishing issues I am happy with this pipe which I'll be gifting to another gentleman.

A couple questions:

This was also my first attempt at a contrast stain. As I understand it, I should apply a black stain to the stummel after final sanding then sand it away and then buff. You can certainly point me in the right direction with a link to a topic within this forum if you'd like.

Thanks for your critique.
wdteipen

Re: Author Pipe

Post by wdteipen »

Not bad. The shank length looks okay to me. The main thing I see that could be improved is the height of the bowl. It's a bit tall for an author.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sam a

Post by sam a »

Mark Beattie wrote: This was also my first attempt at a contrast stain. As I understand it, I should apply a black stain to the stummel after final sanding then sand it away and then buff. You can certainly point me in the right direction with a link to a topic within this forum if you'd like.
here ya go, i've had great results using techniques described in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5029
DMI

Post by DMI »

You'll be pleased to know that nothing leaps out at me as being wrong, the shape is ok, the various junctions work (the stem/shank could do with a little work) and the stem is sufficiently chunky for the shape.

According to the thread on contrast staining the method I use does not work.

David.