Showing off my new Logan lathe! (updated with before shots)

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
JHowell

Re: Showing off my new Logan lathe! (updated with before shots)

Post by JHowell »

Pulling a spindle isn't that bad. There are no alignment issues; the only issue is replacing the bearings as Logan tried something different with the 10 inch lathes. Rather than have an external preload arrangement (like the wave washers on the 11 inch) for the spindle bearings, they specified a special New Departure bearing that was (supposedly) internally preloaded. The fact that the 10 inch lathes are prone to chatter is often blamed on modern replacement bearings with the same part number lacking this internal preload.

If all the bull gear is missing is half of one tooth it should run fine. I use a 3-phase motor with a frequency drive, which lets me dial in whatever speed I want
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Thanks for the info JH, it adds to the knowledge base.
I'm interested in your application of the VFD. I've been giving it some thought as I need to replace the motor on my machine but I need more education as my electric motor/electrical knowledge is limited. My power is 115 1PH so am I correct that a phase converter is required? Is the motor reversible via a switch?
Can you share the brands and model #'s of the components you used?
Thanks,
Chas.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

The VFD is a phase convertor in itself, and will need 220v on a 30 amp (minimum) breaker. The VFD converts that to fully reversible three-phase, so you will need a 3-phase 220v motor to use it.