lathe power feed

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
sam a

lathe power feed

Post by sam a »

i found a good deal on an old logan 200 that is missing the leadscrew and change gears. the price was right so i bought it anyhow. i'm currently in the process of cleaning it up and whatnot, and i'm wondering would it make sense to replace them or would it be just as well without the power feed for pipemaking? i assume just manually using the hand wheels for the carriage would be sufficient, but i've been wrong before.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: lathe power feed

Post by KurtHuhn »

For pipe making? I'd never even consider the power feed.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
sam a

Post by sam a »

that's what i was hoping to hear... just wanted confirmation. thanks.
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

The power feed is great for facing large diameter stem material, Calabash bowls, etc., but other than that, it's not very useful. This is assuming you have a power feed for your cross-slide. You will find, however, that for non pipe making endeavors, it's pretty cool.

TJ
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

KurtHuhn wrote:For pipe making? I'd never even consider the power feed.
You sure, Kurt? I use my power feed constantly. I just turn it on and walk away. When I return, voila! Pipe!

Maybe that's why my billiard looks like shit. :P

Note: This is meant entirely in jest and should in no way be taken seriously. YOU SHOULD NEVER WALK AWAY FROM ANY POWER TOOL WHILE IT'S ON.

PS - Are jokes funny if you have to provide a safety warning after them?
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
sam a

Post by sam a »

ToddJohnson wrote:The power feed is great for facing large diameter stem material, Calabash bowls, etc., but other than that, it's not very useful. This is assuming you have a power feed for your cross-slide. You will find, however, that for non pipe making endeavors, it's pretty cool.

TJ
good to know, thanks todd.
meathod

Post by meathod »

UberHuberMan wrote:
KurtHuhn wrote:For pipe making? I'd never even consider the power feed.
You sure, Kurt? I use my power feed constantly. I just turn it on and walk away. When I return, voila! Pipe!
Made me laugh.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

YOU SHOULD NEVER WALK AWAY FROM ANY POWER TOOL WHILE IT'S ON.
Sometimes it's best to walk away.

Rad
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

RadDavis wrote:
YOU SHOULD NEVER WALK AWAY FROM ANY POWER TOOL WHILE IT'S ON.
Sometimes it's best to walk away.

Rad
:shock:

What's that supposed to mean? :lol:

-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Rad you're right, I'll ask my mom to go turn the lathe off- it's probably bad for the power bill.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As others have said you don't need them for pipemaking but I am sure after a while you will want them for other things so it would make sense to me to get the parts if you can and restore it properly.
Growley

Post by Growley »

I've just started using the power feed on my lathe quite a bit and I really like it. I find it's great for cutting integral tenons as the even rotations make them very smooth. I also use them when I'm cutting down the diameter of my stem material. It's definitely not necessary, but I find that I like the consistency it provides. I have a left to right power feed though, so I can't "power face" stem material. But I'm just a beginner so who knows?

POWER FACE!... That kind of sounds awesome. "So, how do you face off your stem material?" "Me?, Oh, I POWER FACE them!"
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Growley wrote:I've just started using the power feed on my lathe quite a bit and I really like it. I find it's great for cutting integral tenons as the even rotations make them very smooth. I also use them when I'm cutting down the diameter of my stem material. It's definitely not necessary, but I find that I like the consistency it provides. I have a left to right power feed though, so I can't "power face" stem material. But I'm just a beginner so who knows?

POWER FACE!... That kind of sounds awesome. "So, how do you face off your stem material?" "Me?, Oh, I POWER FACE them!"
That should go on your website! "Growley Pipes... now with POWER FACED stems!" *thunder crash* *fireworks* *engine revs* *lion roars*

-Tyler Beard