might I share....

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
billiard

might I share....

Post by billiard »

I know I don't post much, but I really need to share this with some folks that will understand why I am so happy:

I do most things manually, right now I have the base model of a shopsmith and use the drill press and 12" disc sander as my power tools. I found a guy on the local craigslist who was selling the bandsaw attachment for the shopsmith cheap so I went to check it out. As I was looking over the belt sander attachment and thinking "if I can just get my family not to eat for a few days I could buy that too" I noticed something in the other corner of his garage.

A Jet mini-lathe, jml-1014, that looked like it was in great shape - and it had a sticker on it for $50?! I asked him if the price was right? yes. Anything wrong with it? No. When I said I would take it, he said he would throw the custom wood cabinet it was sitting on, as well as the 10 tools and extra chuck, in for another $20...

$70 and I think I now have a Lathe all set up.

Don't get me wrong: I haven't a clue how to use it, but I plan on figuring it out :)
wmolaw

Re: might I share....

Post by wmolaw »

billiard wrote:I know I don't post much, but I really need to share this with some folks that will understand why I am so happy:

I do most things manually, right now I have the base model of a shopsmith and use the drill press and 12" disc sander as my power tools. I found a guy on the local craigslist who was selling the bandsaw attachment for the shopsmith cheap so I went to check it out. As I was looking over the belt sander attachment and thinking "if I can just get my family not to eat for a few days I could buy that too" I noticed something in the other corner of his garage.

A Jet mini-lathe, jml-1014, that looked like it was in great shape - and it had a sticker on it for $50?! I asked him if the price was right? yes. Anything wrong with it? No. When I said I would take it, he said he would throw the custom wood cabinet it was sitting on, as well as the 10 tools and extra chuck, in for another $20...

$70 and I think I now have a Lathe all set up.

Don't get me wrong: I haven't a clue how to use it, but I plan on figuring it out :)
Now that's a great buy, if it works well. And an AMAZING deal if the tools are HSS.
billiard

Post by billiard »

wmolaw wrote:Now that's a great buy, if it works well. And an AMAZING deal if the tools are HSS.
Seems like it works very well. The alignment was just a little off but I figure out how to adjust that and managed a couple spindles and a bowl from it already. 7 of the tools I do not think are HSS but 3 of them are mini's and HSS (probably a 3 piece pen turner's kit, I would assume).

I realize I have a big learning curve ahead of me with it but pretty exciting nonetheless :)
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Whoa! What a steal! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of that little guy. Be sure to post what you make with it. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Dude that's a SWEET deal! And here I was excited for a $1300 Jet9x20... lame.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
DMI

Post by DMI »

You lucky b!*^$+d.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

billiard wrote:
wmolaw wrote:Now that's a great buy, if it works well. And an AMAZING deal if the tools are HSS.
Seems like it works very well. The alignment was just a little off but I figure out how to adjust that and managed a couple spindles and a bowl from it already. 7 of the tools I do not think are HSS but 3 of them are mini's and HSS (probably a 3 piece pen turner's kit, I would assume).

I realize I have a big learning curve ahead of me with it but pretty exciting nonetheless :)
You and me both! I do have to say, however, that drilling with the lathe has just about revolutionized my accuracy. And sanding with it is a hell of a lot better than with the 1" belt sander. Not to mention buffing.

I am going to begin branching out as well, making different stuff, bottle stoppers, etc. Just to learn the machine!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm all :)

Warning - meandering thoughts:

One of the pros that I pay attention to, commented regarding something or other - shortly after I joined the forum, that a pipe maker should be able to make a pipe without needing any real tooling and that the only difference is that it takes longer doing things by hand. I think I remember him saying he used the Pimo tenon tool for his first couple hundred pipes. So I think I have put off "tooling up" for longer than many folks do, and I like to think that's been a good thing as I do think it has taught my hands a bit.

That said I am at the point where I would like to make pipes a little faster. When I made my last one I did not even have my shopsmith working and that pipe took forever. So now a bandsaw (still needs a blade) and this mini-lathe, plus my once again working shopsmith base and I think if I just focus on learning my new tools for a spell that by the time the kids go back to school I might be able to get pretty busy... well I hope so anyhow. :)

Edit to add: and make then better too! Don't want to sound proud of myself, though I been at this awhile I take weeks and recently months off in between making them, so I'm still in the learning curve :)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Once you get a chuck, and that lathe will take a Oneway no problem, you'll really see your work time cut down on a lot of shapes, Bill. And whatever stem work you want to do to.

It's true that a skilled/experienced pipe maker could make a good pipe with substandard tools, but having decent equipment sure makes it go easy.

Nice score!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Cory

Post by Cory »

You didn't have to post this two days before I go to pick up the same deal (except a Nova chuck and some more tools) for $325.....
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Charl

Post by Charl »

Vey cool! And just as an aside, which you probably know, pipetooling is expensive!
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thanks All :)

Todd, I already have the Grizzly equivalent of the oneway chuck with jaws that work on a block. I got them to use on the ShopSmith. My Shopsmith was a heavily used craigslist special and had some major issues and never worked right and I could never really use the lathe on it.

However thanks to a new elderly neighbor who said "I'm too old to do it but will walk you through stripping the whole machine down and rebuilding it" My ShopSmith is now running like new, it's remarkable how much my new friend taught me on it whilst he sat on a stool in my garage, very grateful to him.

So now (even though I do not know how to use either of them) I have 2 working lathes. The mini Lathe also came with an Albrecht 1/32 - 1/2" keyless chuck as well as another live center.

Now comes the equipment learning curve.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Way cool. Good snag.

I recommend checking out some wood turning sites and videos to learn how to use the lathe. I did a few wood turning projects -- all in the name of learning to make pipes -- early on with my lathe. It was great training, and fun to make the stuff. Pipes will be easy after you've made, say, a pepper mill.
billiard

Post by billiard »

Thought I would post a follow up before I go back to my usual lurk mode just in case anyone was interested.

This morning I picked up a new band saw blade, found and downloaded the manual, got it installed and my band saw all freshly aligned. Then used the bandsaw to cut up a couple blocks of walnut from a big round that I had.

Made a couple of stummels on the mini-lathe and then drilled and cut some tenons onto rods just for the practice with no intention on finishing the pipes (walnut).

Here is a pic of something or other I made today, just so it maybe makes sense:

I spent quite a bit of time consuming material online before having a go on the lathe and I must say the stuff on this forum (e.g. Kurt's & Tyler's videos) was more helpful than anything else.

Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts :)
billiard

Post by billiard »

Tyler wrote:Way cool. Good snag.

I recommend checking out some wood turning sites and videos to learn how to use the lathe. I did a few wood turning projects -- all in the name of learning to make pipes -- early on with my lathe. It was great training, and fun to make the stuff. Pipes will be easy after you've made, say, a pepper mill.
Thanks Tyler,

You snuck that in there when I was typing :)

I went and took a couple hour class at WoodCraft not too long ago which gave me the basics even though I am shy to admit I might have 1 of the thousand clues needed to do all this...

I hear what you are saying, and thankfully my wife has already ordered some wooden spoons, a couple of bowls, and a peppermill as well!

So knocking a few things out today, and doing the extra homework you are suggesting, I think it is all good practice. Soon though more pipes of course too.