What brand is your lathe

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
scotties22

What brand is your lathe

Post by scotties22 »

Hey Boys,

I have been looking at lathes this evening. I have a headache and my eyes are bleeding from staring at the computer for the past couple of hours. So I thought I would ask for some help. I am selling my motorcycle to get a lathe and hopefully will have around 2K to get outfitted. What is going to be the best bang for my buck? Wood lathe and taig lathe combo? Metal lathe? I don't get into too much trouble for wanting expensive tools and want to make sure I get the best I can for the money I have to spend. I know I will need to get a chuck and tools, so any suggestions there will be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Scottie
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Re: What brand is your lathe

Post by Sasquatch »

If you have the bucks, go straight to the largest and best quality metal lathe you can afford (check out your local Craigslist or Kajiji or whatever), bearing in mind that you'll need to get at least a few specialty pipe-oriented tools for it.

The metal/wood lathe distinction is a misnomer - a metal lathe will do everything a wood lathe can do, and much more.

I say this as a dedicated wood lathe user.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

If you can get ahold of one, I'd say spring for a Jet 9x20. It's a great machine and the size will work for pretty much anything you ever need to do in the pipe world. Also, something to remember is that you'll need to buy some tooling for it, including infamous two jaw chuck. Ask Kurt Huhn about that though, he is starting some sort of cult centered around promoting some knock off "tower chuck" thingy...(seriously though it's a great chuck for a great deal, I just can't remember where I put the url).

The other big thing to invest in would of course be a bench grinder, trust me, it'll save you money for sure, HSS tool blanks are way cheaper to buy than preground tool bits. So yeah, if you could find a Jet 9x20 used for around 13-1500 that'd rock, cus' you could get all tooled up with a crappy 8" slow speed grinder and a nice "affordable" two jaw chuck. After that the pipes practically make themselves.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'll second what our resident mythological beasts have said; go metal lathe. The Jet BD920N is a good option in your price range unless you can find an old Atlas or something similar. Like Sasquatch, I'm a wood lathe guy but dream of metal lathes especially when turning tenons and long, thin shanked pipes. You can easily adapt a metal lathe to do everything a wood lathe can do.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

I own a Precision Matthews 1127VF-LB with a DRO. Great lathe, but you're looking at a $3K investment.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I noticed an atlas on ebay about a month ago that was buy it now for 450. I knew I should have bought it. It looked like it was in great shape and the listing said it ran straight. i will keep an eye out and get in touch with Kurt about the chuck.

Thanks guys,

Scottie
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

www.ladybriar.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I've heard good things about grizzly. It doesn't come with a stand I see, so here's the important thing- have a really really solid bench. I mean SOLID as in- bolted to the floor/ the frame of your house kinda solid.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I think I am going to get a work bench out of my grandpa's shop to mount it on. My sister lives about an hour from Springfield, MO and they have a huge store there. I am going to go down and visit her and might take a look at what they have. But, I have to sell my bike first.....
www.ladybriar.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

If you're going to go so far as to sell your motorcycle, don't cheap out on the lathe. Be sure you get a good, quality unit. Also, be sure you've got some cash left over to purchase the tooling - which is going to amount to a pretty penny all by itself.

I don't have any hands-on experience with Grizzly, but I have heard that they're really nice. I do know that their customer service is excellent.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
meathod

Post by meathod »

One thing to consider is the space you have around the chuck for maneuvering your tools. The Grizzly lathe looks cramped, the chuck sits deep beyond the front face of the head stock, which has those sharp corners sticking out pretty far. And hopefully you can remove the splash guard on the back. Just something to consider.
Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

For reference and fwiw, I bought a new jet bd920 a few months ago for $1050. It was a big upgrade over a wood lathe/Taig combo. Enco had them on sale and I had a coupons code. This deal should be repeatable (or close) fairly often.

Another fyi, the stand that they make for the jet 920 is crazy short. At 6'5", it's worthless to me. It's suitable for someone 5'5" or so...maybe.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Sellin the bike to make pipes? Scottie's got it BADDDDDD. :lol: :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
giannilibrizzi

Post by giannilibrizzi »

mine is a Rockwell Beaver 3400, a nice lathe for sure, strong as hell, but for sure there might be better options, but for my money, it was a no brainer!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Business owner, stay at home mom with two babies under 2 1/2 = no time to ride......I don't want to sell her, but she never gets to go anywhere. At least I have time to make pipes... :D
www.ladybriar.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That makes sense. Priorities! :mrgreen:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I just bought this
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/riko ... 050VS.aspx

Now as soon as I sell my bike I'm going to buy a taig......more to come.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

AWESOME.....I got my lathe today. The stand should be here by Monday. I have a chuck headed this way and I am going to Woodcraft this weekend to get some tools......I will be in the ER, missing one of my fingers, by the end of next week :lol: . Don't worry I will send pictures.

Now if I could just find someone to buy my bike I could get a Taig and a bunch of wood and I would be set.
www.ladybriar.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

scotties22 wrote:I just bought this
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/riko ... 050VS.aspx

Now as soon as I sell my bike I'm going to buy a taig......more to come.
That's the exact lathe I have and I love it. In fact, that is the exact place I bought my lathe, but I picked it up, I live in Atlanta! Great, great store. REvolutionized my drilling and makes sanding a breeze. Be sure, however, you get some dust control method in place.

I too have been considering a Taig as well, I'm still using pre-formed stems. But, baby steps, right, baby steps.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yeah, I haven't tried to make my own stem yet. I am using preforms and delrin for now. I did drill my first piece of acrylic not too long ago. I haven't done anything with it yet...still to nervous. Maybe that will be the first thing I do with the lathe since it comes with a live center and spur center...++

Do you have the stand or is it mounted to a table?
www.ladybriar.com