Myford super 7 lathe with norton gearbox and power crossfeed

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
DMI

Myford super 7 lathe with norton gearbox and power crossfeed

Post by DMI »

This is going at a good price is it any good?

David.
caskwith

Re: Myford super 7 lathe with norton gearbox and power crossfeed

Post by caskwith »

Is there meant to be a link or anything?

Just from the description I can tell you that a Super 7 is a great lathe (not that I am bias or anything). Power crossfeed indicates one of the newer models and the norton gearbox was a homebuilt version. Don't have a gearbox on mine and while it would be a nice feature I doubt I would use it to full potential, power cross feed is a nice option but no real use for pipe making. One thing to be aware of is that for whatever reason the prices are at an all time low for now, a year or so ago a good condition super7 with original gearbox would set you back a couple of grand, my own super7 cost me a grand about 5 years ago and i got it for a steal, at the moment however you can pick up a good one for well under a grand and the slightly older ml7's are going for not much over £500. Important thing to look out for aside from wear and damage that you would look for on any lathe is the condition of the motor, these are prone to problems and can be quite costly to replace, I had to replace mine not long after i bought the lathe but had expected this anyway, it was the original motor and had been working for over 20years seemingly full of brass chips!
DMI

Post by DMI »

DMI

Post by DMI »

Thanks Chris but was to late, it sold for £300. :cry:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

That sounds suspiciously low, I would hazard a guess that it was in poor condition and I don't like the talk about conversions or not being used either. Thing about myford lathes is that they are always in demand, and those that own own them also use them and generally care for them as they know that unlike a chinese Sieg or something the myford will hold a re-sale value, I could easily get the money back I paid for mine including some extra for the work I have done to it adding DRO's etc. Keep an eye out on your local ebay auctions for either an ML7 (ideally with clutch) or a Super7 of any age and look to spend between £500-1000 depending on accessories and condition, if buy at that price you will never worry about losing out as you could turn around and make your money back no problem.

Oh and FWIW if you had bought the lathe for £300 you would have probably spent at least another 300 sorting out the new motor and working on the "conversions"