Signature Stamps

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Chadd

Signature Stamps

Post by Chadd »

Hey all. I'm new to pipecrafting and was wondering where one would purchase a name stamp for the stem. I know that some pipe crafters use a Dremel tool, but my handwriting is bad enough, I can't imagine trying it with a Dremel.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chadd
stdly

Post by stdly »

Chadd,
Welcome! Do a search on this forum and you will find what you are looking for I believe.
Regards,
Steve J

Opinions! Everyone has one and everyone thinks the other persons stinks
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

A&M Steel Stamps
55 Windsor Ave
Mineola, NY 11501

516-741-6223

They are around $100.00 each

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Click here and scroll down to the third pic:

http://tinyurl.com/59t6w

It's sideways, but if you turn your monitor onto it's right side you can read it. :)

Paul's stamps are very sharp. I just press it by hand, slightly rocking the stamp back & forth as I roll it across the shank.

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

BTW, That's done with two seperate stamps.

My name on one stamp, and "Hand Made USA" on the other.

Rad
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

random wrote:Thanks for the pics. Very nice looking. Do you know if you get some scrolly-stuff in an oval or something if it would still hand-press?
Yep
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I think they can do pretty much anything you need.

Rad
bluesmk

stamps:

Post by bluesmk »

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the last few posts. I've had design artwork for a new logo stamp hanging around for months, just never got around to using it. I've used Harper manufacturing for my others. I get heat flashes, heartburn, headaches....and just plain nervous when it comes to stamping.
Stamps are too large, and (too dull) in my opinion. Thanks for the pics Rad, I also remember looking at your work in Richmond, Todds as well and wondered who cut your stamps. Thanks again for the info, think I'll give Paul a call.
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
jeff

Post by jeff »

I don't know Random, I actually like your stamp. It's simple, practical, etc. I've liked the way that you set up the stamping area and the size of it on the pipes. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Jeff
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nah, I've never noticed that. Of course, I haven't looked. I just like the way that you put it on the rusticated ones. It's unique.

Jeff
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Thanks for the info, folks. I certainly appreciate it!

Chadd
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

random wrote:Thanks Jeff. I assume that you also like the way I get it crooked on about half my smooth pipes? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Believe it or not, I've yet to see a straight stamp on any pipe I own - not that I own a STOA Briar or anything, but even my WO Larsen pipes have slightly crooked stamps.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Shouldn't our answer for this be like our answer for asymmetrical pipes? If your going to make something asymmetrical do it show much that you can tell it's on prupose and not just bad symmetry.

Sorry, scrolling through old nomenclature posts and had to respond... :P
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Rolando Negoita's stamps are pretty much straight at least on the pipes I own and have owned.

Lindner is ...... wel Lindner, they look laser cut. This is probably an inordinately long process for Mike. He makes pretty amazing smoking pipes though.

Tyler uses crayon so what do you expect. ( I don't own one yet but hey it's true he uses crayon).

Todd has generally had a few scotches when his stamps go on so what do you expect :-) to todd's defense though I own some StOA where it's a wonder there was enough "usable" pipe for the damn stamp so kudos for that.

Roush is pretty good, The silver markings are always dead on though.

Jody's all over the place.

Paul Tatum is pretty straight..

Heeschen is all over the place.

That's all I got in front of me at the moment.

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

I *hate* stamping pipes. It's the one operation where you can't see what you're doing, exactly, and where you can't do it a little bit at a time and check on how it's going. It requires a considerable application of force, as well as precision -- two things that go together only with quite a bit of practice.