Wall Thickness Caliper?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Wall Thickness Caliper?

Post by Tyler »

Gents,

I thought I would call upon the collective experience of the group in hopes of finding a tool. I want to buy a thickness caliper for measuring bowl wall-thickness. Of course, this is easily done on the top of the rim, but is more of a challenge at the bottom of the bowl. Here is the best I've found so far...

http://miva3.synergydns.net/Merchant2/m ... lipers-svc

but I was hoping to find one that was graduated so that I had an actual measure of the thickness instead of a visual representation of the thickness. I suppose, worst case, that I could glue a ruler or some other graduated measuring device to one of the points, but surely there is the right tool out there.

Anyone??

Tyler
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

When I read the question the tool that came to mind was the exact type you linked too. They are used by ceramics artist because uniform wall thickness is a must to prevent cracking when you are fireing clay in an kiln.

But everyone that I have seen use those and not anything with a graduated scale.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Tyler-

Since a pipe chamber is not undercut like a vase is, couldn't you just shape until you got a uniform thickness on the caliper and then just lay the caliper on a ruler to measure the distance from point to point. Seems a bit easier than glueing one to the tool itself.