My new winter project

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
oklahoma red

My new winter project

Post by oklahoma red »

The old adages of "patience is a virtue" and "good things happen to people who wait" must be true. I've been mining Craigs List for weeks looking for good old American iron and today it paid off. I was able to pounce upon a 1943 vintage Logan 850 before anyone else and it is mine now. Plus, it is only 14 miles away and plus-plus I got it for less than a third of the asking price. Plus times four it was pouring rain when I got to the guy's building (that is something we've not seen here in a long time).
The seller is a farmer and he inherited from his father who had inherited it from his father. It has been sitting in a farm shop for 11 years and used very little in that time. Seller is getting rid of his farm and moving to the lake.
Got a lot of tooling with it to boot.
I could put my drilling chuck on it and make pipes right now but I want to restore it to honor the American craftsmen that made it in the middle of the war. Hopefully it will turn out as well as Meathod's 820.
Officially an 850 is a turret lathe but this one has had a regular tailstock and cross slide installed which is OK by me.
I have a couple of friends with strong backs and weak minds who are going to help me move it to the house next weekend.
I'll take some "before" pics and some "after pics" when I'm done.
The nice thing about Logans is that virtually every wearable part on the entire line of lathes can be replaced with new manufactured parts courtesy of the Logan Actuator Co. in Chicago.
I figure that by the time I'm done I'll have in it an amount equal to or greater than one of the Chinese boat anchors but I don't give a flying fart because there won't be a Commie part on it.
Chas.
Leus

Re: My new winter project

Post by Leus »

I have a couple of friends with strong backs and weak minds who are going to help me move it to the house next weekend.
Heh. Love that statement.

Everybody loves to see a restoration project. I'll selfishly ask you to make sure to take a gazillion pics and post them so I can get free enjoyment.

Congratulations!
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Leus wrote:
Heh. Love that statement.

Everybody loves to see a restoration project. I'll selfishly ask you to make sure to take a gazillion pics and post them so I can get free enjoyment.

Congratulations!
I do also, as long as he's not referring to me!
Leus

Post by Leus »

wmolaw wrote:I do also, as long as he's not referring to me!
It depends on you having a strong back, methinks.
sam a

Post by sam a »

very cool... i just picked up a filthy old logan 200 (1946) and have been in the process restoring it for the past few weeks. i think you will be pleased, solid machines for sure.