yet another how about this lathe topic

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Massis

yet another how about this lathe topic

Post by Massis »

Being the most versatile and wanted tool for pipemakers, this forum is full of "is this a good one?"-topics, so I decided to add my share...

It's a Siemens-Schuckert Lathe, 500mm between centers, has some tooling with it (chucks, jacobs chuck, ...) and looks to be in very good condition.

The owner is asking €420 (around $550 USD) for it... What do you guys think? Is this worth my investment?
Jos

Re: yet another how about this lathe topic

Post by Jos »

Hi Massis,

basically, a fine piece of good ol' german engineering, from the 1950's, I guess.
The Norton gearbox has been taken off, and seems to be missing - not much of a
problem, unless it comes to thread machining - dunno if it's possible to find a replacement.
500 mm between centers is basically enough for pipemaking, swing diameter looks sufficient,
but probably not for longer pipes.
Condition seems ok, for the age.
Seems worth considering ...

Jens
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Judging only from what I can see in the pics, I would say jump on it.
Then again it could look pretty and be as loose as a goose.
Check it thoroughly, if possible, before you buy.
Chas.
Jos

Post by Jos »

Oh, and have you seen the Emco Maximat: http://www.2dehands.be/tuin/gereedschap ... k&start=41

Looks fine, too ...

Jens
Massis

Post by Massis »

Thanks for the info guys!

And Jos, i did see the the maximat, does look nice, but there's no price indication and it's been fully restored, so the seller knows what he's selling. Hence it'll cost more than I have...
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

"Uuuhhh . . . huh huh . . . he said Seimens."

TJ
Massis

Post by Massis »

ToddJohnson wrote:"Uuuhhh . . . huh huh . . . he said Seimens."

TJ
Actually I said Siemens. There's nothing funny about saying Seimens unless you're slightly dyslexic.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Massis wrote:

TJ
Actually I said Siemens. There's nothing funny about saying Seimens unless you're slightly dyslexic.
You just said it....
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
Alden

Post by Alden »

Cory wrote:
Massis wrote:

TJ
You just said it....

Huhuh.... Hey Baybay... Can I interest you in my..... Siemens... Huhuhuh, huhuh.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Well....since you asked so nicely.............NO, and don't ever ask again... :lol:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

Okaaay...

Since I'm now so disgusted by the brand Siem... (I'm not saying it!), I'm considering to buy this one:
http://doe-het-zelf-verbouw.marktplaats ... ielen.html

Well not because I'm disgusted, but because I can no longer spend that kind of money right now.
This was handbuilt many years ago by a machine builder, so it's brandless, but it has 50cm between centers, 13.5cm swing over the bed and it's in a very good condition with no play whatsoever (at least that's what the guy selling it says). And he's letting me have it for €200, which is a much better price for my budget than the Schuckert one.

Okay, it doesn't have automatic feeds or anything, but for now I mainly want a machine which is big enough and allows me to turn both stummels and stems and let me grow into it. Seeing I've never operated a lathe before, it will be hard enough to operate a simple machine.
Massis

Post by Massis »

So, both the Siemens and the Maximat sold for way more money than there is in my wallet and the guy selling the home built one decided to sell his to someone else for €250 without offering me the chance to match that offer.

Massis = still lathe-less :-(
Alden

Post by Alden »

Massis wrote:So, both the Siemens and the Maximat sold for way more money than there is in my wallet and the guy selling the home built one decided to sell his to someone else for €250 without offering me the chance to match that offer.

Massis = still lathe-less :-(

Its tough finding a deal, but I think you'll find a good one if you keep looking.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I hope so... Currently have an offer going on this one:

http://www.2dehands.be/bouw/gereedschap ... 14843.html

A myford super7, 7"x20". I love the look of these classic machines, even though this one has had some parts replaced with the regular 7 series parts and there's some work on it (cover has hinges broken off for example)

Trying to get my hands on it for €375 ($470) which I think is a good deal, seeing a completely refurbished one sells for about €3000 and a most old ones go for around €650-750...

Edit: he's accepted my offer, should be picking it up this weekend after seeing it in person.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Massis wrote:I hope so... Currently have an offer going on this one:

A myford super7, 7"x20". I love the look of these classic machines, even though this one has had some parts replaced with the regular 7 series parts and there's some work on it (cover has hinges broken off for example)

Trying to get my hands on it for €375 ($470) which I think is a good deal, seeing a completely refurbished one sells for about €3000 and a most old ones go for around €650-750...

Edit: he's accepted my offer, should be picking it up this weekend after seeing it in person.
Cool ! Congratulations
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Massis wrote:I hope so... Currently have an offer going on this one:

Awesome, same lathe as I use though yours looks to be an earlier model. Looks like you will need to replace a few missing parts but that shouldn't be difficult, plenty of spares available.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Some parts are from an earlier 7 series so yes it'll look like an early model.

What can you tell is missing? Itll be my first lathe so i have no idea basicly.
Massis

Post by Massis »

Apparently the motor is currently not connected so I can't see it running. Should I take that as a warning and ditch this offer? I'm not sure wether I'll be able to tell by sight id there is something terribly wrong with this machine...
Of course I dont want to waste my hard earned money..

I've also noted this one's been for sale for nearly a month now, priced at €500, and it hasn't sold. While just yesterday another super 7 came online and it now already has a €700 bid on it... (the €700 one comes with a cabinet though...)
And of course , revised ones in "as new" condition sell for over €2500...

Edit: upped my offer to €400 instead of €375 in exchange for him to mount the motor and have the entire machine in working condition when I go and see it.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I got a message a few hours ago the seller had the machine up and running again, ready for my inspection this sunday.

Just now I get another message, stating he sold it to a friend for €500 and he's removed the announcement from the local craigslist! As if! It's been online for over a month with noone wanting to buy it, and now someone he knows just happens to walk in with €500? I call bs!

Furious, that's what I am!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Massis wrote:I got a message a few hours ago the seller had the machine up and running again, ready for my inspection this sunday.

Just now I get another message, stating he sold it to a friend for €500 and he's removed the announcement from the local craigslist! As if! It's been online for over a month with noone wanting to buy it, and now someone he knows just happens to walk in with €500? I call bs!

Furious, that's what I am!

Patience Grasshopper. I think everything works out for a reason. It is probably better you didnt buy this lathe, and I think you will find the one you are looking for.