First Pipe!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
AldenW

First Pipe!

Post by AldenW »

Hey guys, this is my first pipe! Well, technically it's my first with a lathe; I took a shot at one with a dremel alone a while back and I didn't think it was worth any attention. It's fun watching all the crazy awesome pipes you guys have been making and I'm glad I can finally chip something in.
It's made from cherry. It ain't perfect. Feel free to fire away, or not, I have an idea of a number of things that could use work. I had a total blast making it, and it smokes head and shoulders above my one other pipe (a $30 "Darvill"). Sorry if the pictures aren't all dead 90 deg; I was trying to avoid shadow issues in my very imperfect lighting.
I also ran into a little problem with it after the inaugural smoke, as I'll describe below...

So, some brown stuff appeared on the top and bottom of the stem (and a liiiiiittle bit on the bottom of the pipe). It scrapes off a bit off with my fingernail, but seems to reappear. I presume it's tobacco juice bleeding through the end grain. Is this a normal issue with cherry, or did I do something wrong? Not a big deal on this particular pipe; obviously it's a just-for-me model.

Alden

Re: First Pipe!

Post by Alden »

Pretty nice work ! Nice crisp clean lines. I dont know whats on the bottom ??
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I suppose it could be tobacco juice, however my guess is it's a resin being brought out by heat. How was this cherry cured? There is a chance some resins never left the wood.

Just my two cents.

Btw, nice first pipe! On a lathe...
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's pretty nice; especially for your first on a lathe. The cherrywood or poker is a great one to start with on a lathe and you did a nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

Thanks guys! Y'all know how to make a guy feel welcome.

As far as how the cherry was cured, it probably wasn't. This is that cherry you find when you walk into Rockler and head for their lumber dept..... It smokes well enough and fancy wood is better than my friends and I (who have "dibs'd" my next couple of pipes as gifts) deserve. :lol:

Anyways, I just bought Kurt's french wheel jacob's chuck arbor and sanding pad, that should make life easier next time.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If it were me I'd be proud of the fact that no one can say that the stem/bowl juncture needs more wood removed.
Nice job for your first lathe effort.
Chas.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

oklahoma red wrote:If it were me I'd be proud of the fact that no one can say that the stem/bowl juncture needs more wood removed.
Nice job for your first lathe effort.
Chas.
I'll echo that sentiment! Someone has obviously been paying attention around here! :thumbsup:
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

Haha, thanks. I'll be proud, if you insist.

I've spent my share of time poking around this gallery here. I've seen some really great looking pipes!
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Well, it's a good job.
Best regards.
Félix

Pues, es un buen trabajo.
Saludos.
Félix
Growley

Post by Growley »

Awesome first! Congrats.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

AldenW wrote:Thanks guys! Y'all know how to make a guy feel welcome.

As far as how the cherry was cured, it probably wasn't. This is that cherry you find when you walk into Rockler and head for their lumber dept..... It smokes well enough and fancy wood is better than my friends and I (who have "dibs'd" my next couple of pipes as gifts) deserve. :lol:

Anyways, I just bought Kurt's french wheel jacob's chuck arbor and sanding pad, that should make life easier next time.
Really nice. I've had that same experience with Cherry and with Olive wood. May be the tobacco tars bleeding through, may be resins coming out with heat. I've found just hitting it on the buffing with white diamond or just wax takes it away. Seems to come back, but a quick hit and it's gone.

I smoke two cherry pipes I've made, and both smoke great!

Really love the shape, clean, crisp.
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

Growley wrote:Awesome first! Congrats.
Thanks Growley! Very nice twins in the thread above!
maxmil wrote:Well, it's a good job.
Best regards.
Félix

Saludos.
Félix
Thanks Felix! I'm constantly impressed by your work.
wmolaw wrote: Really nice. I've had that same experience with Cherry and with Olive wood. May be the tobacco tars bleeding through, may be resins coming out with heat. I've found just hitting it on the buffing with white diamond or just wax takes it away. Seems to come back, but a quick hit and it's gone.

Thanks wmolaw!
So is that just an expected issue with light, (particularly straight-grain) woods? I'm just wondering for if I try to sell any cherry pipes down the line, whether that kind of thing is acceptable.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

AldenW wrote:
Growley wrote:Awesome first! Congrats.
Thanks Growley! Very nice twins in the thread above!
maxmil wrote:Well, it's a good job.
Best regards.
Félix

Saludos.
Félix
Thanks Felix! I'm constantly impressed by your work.
wmolaw wrote: Really nice. I've had that same experience with Cherry and with Olive wood. May be the tobacco tars bleeding through, may be resins coming out with heat. I've found just hitting it on the buffing with white diamond or just wax takes it away. Seems to come back, but a quick hit and it's gone.

Thanks wmolaw!
So is that just an expected issue with light, (particularly straight-grain) woods? I'm just wondering for if I try to sell any cherry pipes down the line, whether that kind of thing is acceptable.
It is with me, I've never felt as if I've been ripped off when an olive wood pipe I had purchasedhad this issue. I've also seen it with some briar as well, especially on thin walled shanks and even on some bowls. I'm sure others could relay their experiences as well.
AldenW

Post by AldenW »

wmolaw wrote: It is with me, I've never felt as if I've been ripped off when an olive wood pipe I had purchasedhad this issue. I've also seen it with some briar as well, especially on thin walled shanks and even on some bowls. I'm sure others could relay their experiences as well.
Thanks wmolaw! That's reassuring.

Just got Kurt's sanding disk/arbor in the mail, am stoked to put it on the ol' motor tomorrow!