Gonna get my BLAST on !

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Growley

Gonna get my BLAST on !

Post by Growley »

So, I just picked up some BIG IRON last night. I found an amazing deal from this guy on Craigslist. Based on the model number, this unit would run around $3,300. I got it for less than half of that.

It's brand new and was never even plugged in. The guy selling it bought it to paint cars with, fell on hard times and never got it wired up to use. It was just sitting in a corner waiting to be sold. In another month or so, I'll get the rest of my blasting gear. I can't hardly wait!

Here's the specs on the exact unit I got...in case you're a specs kind of person:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... e&tool=all
Nate

Re: Gonna get my BLAST on !

Post by Nate »

I. Am. Totally. Jealous.

Very cool Brian!
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

not more than I am Nate

james
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

How are you gonna get it off the truck? :P

Rad
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Get it off the truck??? I thought he was gonna mount the cabinet on the tailgate, you know, a rolling blast cabinet. It could be the new craze. Kind of like food trucks, but for pipe makers...
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That's a great idea! Brian, make yourself up a cardboard sign that says "Will Sandblast For Food" or something and tape it to the door of your truck. Then you can just drive around and rake in the dough. And other food.

Rad
Growley

Post by Growley »

RadDavis wrote:How are you gonna get it off the truck? :P

Rad

Scottie beat me to the punch... I was just typing up the same thing.

So, I thought I'd outsmart the thing by taking it apart. I figured the motor probably weighs 50lbs and the head, maybe 75lbs.... No, that stinking head has to weigh about 120 lbs, and it's over my head so I can't get a good grip on it. I young enough to want to try and old enough to realize I probably shouldn't.

Seeing that I've only been here just over a year, I don't really have "friends" I could pay in beer to come over and help me. So, I guess I'm left with calling around to see what type of service I can find.

Grrrrrrr.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

You need a huge furniture dolly. Call a rental house. You should be able to rent one pretty cheap. They have straps and you call hulk around huge, huge things in complete safety with them. Then you can damned near do it all by yourself. Maybe have your wife there to spot ya and dial 911 if things go south.
www.ladybriar.com
Growley

Post by Growley »

I could push it around on a dolly, but there's no way I could get it out of the truck with one. Even if I had ramps That sucker would go sailing down them. It has to weigh at least 400 lbs.
Growley

Post by Growley »

WhooHooo! I got it out of the truck and into the middle of the garage. I found a guy to help me lift the head off of it to lighten it, and then we were able to drag it out. What a job though...
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

At least you found help. I put my lathe on the stand at 2 in the morning by myself......I hurt for days. Hope you bought that fella a few beers.
www.ladybriar.com
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

That's awesome, Brian! I recently lost access to my blaster so I won't be blasting anything else anytime soon. :(

Maybe I'll ship it to you to blast! :lol:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

What an awesome compressor! And at a bargain price too. Conrats!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I'm still trying to run my sandblaster from a bike pump(I taught my dog to work the pump pretty fast) So far I can do a really nice light detail blast, but nothing with any sort of depth.

I'm jealous.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I'm still trying to run my sandblaster from a bike pump(I taught my dog to work the pump pretty fast) So far I can do a really nice light detail blast, but nothing with any sort of depth.

I'm jealous.

I think we totally need a picture of this in action.... :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Fantastic. That is just what I need too. Nice job!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
andrew

Post by andrew »

That will be a great compressor for blasting!
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

Heck, you could run a shopfull of air tools off that thing! :shock: Add me to the jealousy brigade. :lol:

Too little too late, but next time you get a piece of equipment that's too big to get out of your truck, call a towing company. They often moonlight as machinery movers and riggers. Be sure to tell them what you need 'em to do first, if they send a rollback instead of a hook truck you're out $50 for nothing.

I had one local outfit unload my power hammer, a 1500 pound hunk of cast iron once all the moving parts were removed. The guy picked it up with the boom, set it on the wooden skid/foundation I made for it, and used the hydraulic pushbar thingy on the back to push it right into the shop exactly where it needed to be, all in about half an hour and all for $50, no beer required.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Looks like a great addition to your shop! I look forward to seeing some sweet blasts. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Growley

Post by Growley »

Alan L wrote:Heck, you could run a shopfull of air tools off that thing! :shock: Add me to the jealousy brigade. :lol:

Too little too late, but next time you get a piece of equipment that's too big to get out of your truck, call a towing company. They often moonlight as machinery movers and riggers. Be sure to tell them what you need 'em to do first, if they send a rollback instead of a hook truck you're out $50 for nothing.

I had one local outfit unload my power hammer, a 1500 pound hunk of cast iron once all the moving parts were removed. The guy picked it up with the boom, set it on the wooden skid/foundation I made for it, and used the hydraulic pushbar thingy on the back to push it right into the shop exactly where it needed to be, all in about half an hour and all for $50, no beer required.
What a great idea. I love that out of the box type thinking (sorry to use a ridiculously overused term). I tried, Lowes, tools rental places, and even 3 guys and a truck movers who wanted like $300 to do it.

I got it moved another 5 feet today by myself with a jack and a strap. She's almost in place. I just have to get her off the pallet and scooted into the corner.

So, in other news, I had an electrician come out and give me a quote to drop in a plug from my existing box, which is only 10 feet away and has plenty of space. He wanted $500 to to it. Crazy... As with most things in life...I wish I knew more about more things, so I could do it myself.