Some advice

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
the rev

Some advice

Post by the rev »

I get a Christmas bonus of around 500 dollars. I can spend this on tools for the shop. I currently have a desk top 1 inch belt sander. A drill that I use for buffing wheels. Some files and carving tools. And daily access to a drill press. What would you suggest I spend my money on?

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
the rev

Re: Some advice

Post by the rev »

Oh yeah, I have a dremel tool as well

rev

JonBood

Post by JonBood »

Are you satisfied with your tooling today? What are the next steps you want to be able to carry out in your pipe making?

I think that for making pipes with pre-molded stems your set, but if you want to do hand made stems then a lathe would come in handy..on the other side it´s a large investment for a small lathe to do just stems on.. I´m not sure what 500 bucks will get you over there but I think it is highly dependent on what you feel is missing and what parts of pipe making that you feel uncomfortable or unequipped to do=)

/Jon
the rev

Post by the rev »

I would like to make my own stems, I am not that interested in carving my pipe with the lathe however.

rev

wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

the rev wrote:I would like to make my own stems, I am not that interested in carving my pipe with the lathe however.

rev
Boy, I would buy a good wood lathe, fairly inexpensive and will completely alter your pipe making, from drilling, facing, sanding, buffing, it's the best all around money you could EVER spend.

In my complete, absolute, newbie opinion! And you can get a good wood lathe with that dough, a stand, and a good chuck as well.

My two cents. But I can tell you, I had the 1" sander, and I don't use that anymore, use the lathe. Two drills, don't use them, use the lathe. Buffing, use the lathe. It's a fricking miracle machine, and it's not even a metal lathe!

Plus, you can make a bunch of other stuff with it as well.

You can buy this lathe for $250, or a bit less.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/riko ... 050VS.aspx
the rev

Post by the rev »

well I will say this, if I do buy a lathe, either wood or metal, it will be a used one.

from what I gather a chuck is very important too

rev

smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Rev, if you do buy the lathe, you'll quickly find that the tooling you'll want/need to use it for pipe making such as a chuck, jaws, jacobs chuck and smaller tooling such as drill bits and cutting tools will quickly add up and surpass the price of the lathe itself.

Between now and Christmas I'd try to save up as much as I could to add to the bonus and get a good metal lathe. Watch craigslist and you'll find some good deals every once in a while.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
the rev

Post by the rev »

see thats why I am wondering if I should worry about getting everything else set up first

I want to build a treadle operated slack sander, I would like to get a collection of hand drills, and hand tools specifically for pipe making ect. I was thinking I could just use the Delrin tenons, and then I wouldn't need a metal or wood lathe right away

rev

Massis

Post by Massis »

You dont NEED a metal lathe right away, but one metal lathe with tools easily replaces most other tools... I think the only stuff you cant really do on a good metal lathe in pipemaking is slacksanding and squaring blocks (like uou would on a bandsaw)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I can't think of anything $500 is going to get you by itself that you're going to be able to use right away on pipemaking that you don't already have. The logical choice would be a wood lathe but you still have at least $500 more to spend to outfit it and have it useable in our craft. If it were me, I would get a wood lathe (the Rikon wmolaw posted is a decent one for a great price) then a chuck then turning tools, then an MT#2 Jacobs chuck for your tailstock.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

wdteipen wrote:I can't think of anything $500 is going to get you by itself that you're going to be able to use right away on pipemaking that you don't already have. The logical choice would be a wood lathe but you still have at least $500 more to spend to outfit it and have it useable in our craft. If it were me, I would get a wood lathe (the Rikon wmolaw posted is a decent one for a great price) then a chuck then turning tools, then an MT#2 Jacobs chuck for your tailstock.
I'm actually thinking of buying another one so I don't have to keep switching out so as to sand, drill, etc.

Addictive, I tell you, this is so addictive!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Yup, I'm thinking about picking up another one too. They are still $250 and it is a great lathe. Even if it stays in the box for a while I think it would be worth it. The more I think about things the more I like the idea, for me and the way I work, of having a taig for stems and turning stummels on a wood lathe. But, another one would sure be nice to have for other things.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

scotties22 wrote:Yup, I'm thinking about picking up another one too. They are still $250 and it is a great lathe. Even if it stays in the box for a while I think it would be worth it. The more I think about things the more I like the idea, for me and the way I work, of having a taig for stems and turning stummels on a wood lathe. But, another one would sure be nice to have for other things.
Damn, I might go this weekend!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I think you ought to listen to what Teipen says. He is after all in the medical field... last thing you want is one of those rubber gloves coming after you.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
taharris

Post by taharris »

Buy a lathe.

I have a wood lathe (Jet 1236) which I use for every aspect of pipe making from drilling to shaping to finishing.

See if you can find some pipe makers in your area and ask to visit their shop and see how they make pipes, then make your decision.

Todd
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

wmolaw wrote:
wdteipen wrote:I can't think of anything $500 is going to get you by itself that you're going to be able to use right away on pipemaking that you don't already have. The logical choice would be a wood lathe but you still have at least $500 more to spend to outfit it and have it useable in our craft. If it were me, I would get a wood lathe (the Rikon wmolaw posted is a decent one for a great price) then a chuck then turning tools, then an MT#2 Jacobs chuck for your tailstock.
I'm actually thinking of buying another one so I don't have to keep switching out so as to sand, drill, etc.

Yeah, I have two wood lathes; a Delta midi and the Rikon you posted. I've dedicated the Delta to buffing and use the Rikon for all my other turning. It's a better lathe than the Delta. Another option to maximize your lathe use is to buy multiple chucks so you can work on things like shank rings and stuff while keeping your block chucked or to continue work while glue dries.
Wayne Teipen
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

wdteipen wrote:
wmolaw wrote:

Yeah, I have two wood lathes; a Delta midi and the Rikon you posted. I've dedicated the Delta to buffing and use the Rikon for all my other turning. It's a better lathe than the Delta. Another option to maximize your lathe use is to buy multiple chucks so you can work on things like shank rings and stuff while keeping your block chucked or to continue work while glue dries.
Good point. I have found that one or two blocks of briar I have are too large for my current oneway. So a new chuck is in the offing.

I'm surprised you think the Rikon is a better lathe than the Delta. Is that the 46-460 Delta? That's a hell of a lot more expensive than the Rikon, and more powerful as well.
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

wmolaw, you don't need a bigger chuck, just different jaws. Haven't found a block that was too big for the jaws I made myself and they hold like a bear.

I have on the other hand found a block that was a hair too small and in this case, I used small cuts from peg board to make a shim for each side of the block and then worked it as usual.

If it were me and I was thinking about another lathe, I'd go with a metal lathe for me second lathe purchase. That's what I did and I've never been sorry. I even sold off my smaller wood lathe and all the tooling I had for it other than the wood lathe cutting tools, as I made a tool rest for the metal lathe and use it just like a wood lathe at times. Then just remove the rest and put the Quick Change Tool Post and cross slide back on and I'm in business again.

There are cheaper setups for sanding and such rather than getting another wood lathe, although that sounds like a great price.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

smokindawg wrote:wmolaw, you don't need a bigger chuck, just different jaws. Haven't found a block that was too big for the jaws I made myself and they hold like a bear.

I have on the other hand found a block that was a hair too small and in this case, I used small cuts from peg board to make a shim for each side of the block and then worked it as usual.

If it were me and I was thinking about another lathe, I'd go with a metal lathe for me second lathe purchase. That's what I did and I've never been sorry. I even sold off my smaller wood lathe and all the tooling I had for it other than the wood lathe cutting tools, as I made a tool rest for the metal lathe and use it just like a wood lathe at times. Then just remove the rest and put the Quick Change Tool Post and cross slide back on and I'm in business again.

There are cheaper setups for sanding and such rather than getting another wood lathe, although that sounds like a great price.
All good points. I have looked at other jaws and haven't seen any that would solve the issue. But may look again this weekend.

Room is a bit of an issue as well, which a lathe really helps with since it's so versatile.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

wmolaw wrote:Good point. I have found that one or two blocks of briar I have are too large for my current oneway. So a new chuck is in the offing.

I'm surprised you think the Rikon is a better lathe than the Delta. Is that the 46-460 Delta? That's a hell of a lot more expensive than the Rikon, and more powerful as well.
My Delta midi is model LA200. I burnt the motor up on it and replaced it with a variable speed motor. The steel frame cracked where the motor mounts to it so I had to repair it. I don't use it for anything but buffing because I don't think the repair will hold up to much vibration. It's not a bad lathe but I think the Rikon is at least equal to it if not better because I think the motor quality is better. They are very similar in overall quality.
Wayne Teipen