bamboo

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Alden

Re: bamboo

Post by Alden »

"Confident" is probably not the word I would use :lol: Reasonably sure we will get our order is probably closer to it.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

UberHuberMan wrote:Also, a question about buffalo horn:

Is $18 a piece a good value? I found buffalo horn blanks at a knife making supply shop for a lot less. I'm pretty ignorant of buffalo horn here, so is there a major difference in quality between Mingdong's horn and these horn blanks?
$18 per horn piece is a horrible price. The question is, is that for one piece? Ernie placed his order for a million "units", so I'm going to wait and see what he ends up with, then maybe buy some off of him.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Alden wrote:"Confident" is probably not the word I would use :lol: Reasonably sure we will get our order is probably closer to it.
Lol! Well as long as we can place a deposit and not pay full cost up front, I'll be satisfied.

As Sam A and I are going to split an order, I'd like to increase the quantity of it. I'd like 60 white and 60 black bamboo. Should come to $270 before shipping. Please let me know if that's problematic at all. :)
e Markle wrote:

Is $18 a piece a good value? I found buffalo horn blanks at a knife making supply shop for a lot less. I'm pretty ignorant of buffalo horn here, so is there a major difference in quality between Mingdong's horn and these horn blanks?
All the buffalo horn I've seen is almost entirely black (or deep brown). There's very little color variance, but maybe that fits your application. I've never used it so I can't speak to it's quality against the properties of "never-expanding" ox horn.
Hah! The "never-expanding" ox horn does sound a bit unrealistic, doesn't it. ;)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Tyler wrote:

$18 per horn piece is a horrible price. The question is, is that for one piece? Ernie placed his order for a million "units", so I'm going to wait and see what he ends up with, then maybe buy some off of him.
Lol! Looks like Ernie is going to be the US distributor of Mingdong horn. :P

-Tyler Beard
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I'll put my official order in for 20 white bamboo and 4 ox horn. Just PM me with what I owe and a Paypal account or alternative payment instructions.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

Please add 5 ox horn to wdteipen's order. Ship with his, I'll pay you however you like. We live near each other, so we can sort that out later.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Okay, update from Mindong; He will start the order with a small deposit (he didnt say how much) and we can send the balance when the order is ready to ship.
He sent a few more pics of the bamboo with calipers on them showing 18-27mm node lengths. He says he can supply bamboo between 8mm-15mm diameter. I suppose if you guys have a preference then speak up, otherwise we will all get a mix of sizes.
So, I guess I am going to add up the numbers we have in the post now and send that order to him to get started, and anyone who wants to get in after this I will add to the order when the deadline is up.
Still dont know if $18 is per horn or per pound or what ? Will update when I find out.
taharris

Post by taharris »

Please put me down for 20 white and 20 black bamboo.

I would prefer the shorter node length if we have that option.

Send me a total and I will pay by PayPal.

Thanks,

Todd
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'll be happy with a mix of bamboo sizes.

-Tyler Beard
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

taharris wrote: I would prefer the shorter node length if we have that option.
I'm sure that's what most want...hopefully their in bundles that are easy to just pack and ship.. luck be a lady.. but I want that also... I just can't expect them to all be that... out of the last 10 sticks I got.. two had close nodes...all 10 got used.. its just a matter of designing the pipe around the bamboo and not using the bamboo as a fix for bad briar

james
mredmond
Site Supporter

bamboo

Post by mredmond »

I'm good with a mixed sizes. Thanks, Ryan!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I only want the best pieces...and some of Ernie's horn.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Tyler wrote:I only want the best pieces...and some of Ernie's horn.
I'm planning on making one million pipes in the next 12 months, so I probably can't share. Sorry.
Alden

Post by Alden »

$18 is price per horn if that influences anyones purchase. I may grab one or two, but thats steep.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

By best pieces, Tyler means the ones with the knuckles spread furthest apart. He calls the front of the pipe the back after all. I'll take it on the chin on this one and take the close knuckled stuff. Oh, and some of Ernie's horn.
Wayne Teipen
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Alden wrote:$18 is price per horn if that influences anyones purchase. I may grab one or two, but thats steep.
For the record, that is a horrible price. The picture makes the piece look a lot bigger than the stuff I've used, and maybe the ox horn is in some way superior(?), but if you want to use horn like the Danes, you can pay WAY less.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Tyler wrote:
Alden wrote:$18 is price per horn if that influences anyones purchase. I may grab one or two, but thats steep.
For the record, that is a horrible price. The picture makes the piece look a lot bigger than the stuff I've used, and maybe the ox horn is in some way superior(?), but if you want to use horn like the Danes, you can pay WAY less.
The only reason I want one or two is because of the size. He says the pieces are at least 5 years old fwiw.
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

I'd like to get in on this for $100 + shipping's worth of white bamboo, but I'd also like to see how this plays out in terms of mindong's response.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You are all going to die from Chinese Buffalo Anthrax.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Will you make sure they put that on my epitaph?
Wayne Teipen