bamboo

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: bamboo

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Why not just send Rad to China with some pruning shears? He could bring back all sorts of goodies!
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
DMI

Post by DMI »

Had you thought of asking Tom Eltang? He does bamboo via Pia Pipes.

David.
Alden

Post by Alden »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Why not just send Rad to China with some pruning shears?
Because none of us trust Rad with pruning shears.
the rev

Post by the rev »

Alden wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:Why not just send Rad to China with some pruning shears?
Because none of us trust Rad with pruning shears.
or our money

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
Alden

Post by Alden »

Okay Guys, the White Bamboo is ordered. Start sending yer payments to ryanealden@gmail.com and make sure you put your username in the comments when you send it. I guess add $10 for shipping ?
If your Paypal is pulling from a Bank Account or Paypal Balance, I dont think it charges me a fee, but if you are paying from a credit card or if it charges me a fee for another reason I have to ask you to add the fee to your payment.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sorry guys, been running crazy hours since I went back to work. 80+ hours a week on the road not much time left for anything but sleeping like a rock :?
The white was ordered from Tiger (The Ebay guy).
Here is what I have in mind; Keep the orders and the money the same. Send me the same amount you were planning to spend with Mindong. I will pack all of the orders at the same time (after the black bamboo gets here). I will start by pulling out the actual number of pieces each of you ordered and then I will divide any left over pieces up between the orders so everyone should get more pieces for the same money.
He actually did end up charging $50 shipping so the white was $600 for 10 kilos. I didnt argue with him because it is still probably cheaper than Mindong.
Its hard to say how many we will get though, if we have 40 pieces per kilo, it is the same price as Mindong. If it is 60 pieces per kilo then it ends up being .50 cents cheaper per piece. I figure we will end up somewhere in the middle, but like I said just keep the orders the same and I will start with your original order and just add in the leftovers.
I wont send out the orders until after the black bamboo arrives, but I do need payments from you guys to order the black. The total for that will be over $900 and I cant cover that much on my own.
The black should be much cheaper than Mindongs black, between $1.50 and $2.25 a piece depending on how many pieces in a kilo, so everyone who ordered some should get a lot more Black than expected.
That should be all the details I left out before, I will be at home this weekend so I can answer any questions you guys have a little quicker.
One other thing; if the white arrives and its not up to the standards we are looking for, I will keep all of it, eat the cost myself, and we will go back to waiting on Mindong for our order.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Full payment sent!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
taharris

Post by taharris »

Payment sent.

Thanks for doing this Alden.

Todd
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I ain't sent shit. I already got a piece of bamboo, and it'll still be on my shelf 20 years from now.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mredmond
Site Supporter

bamboo

Post by mredmond »

You kids better get off old man Bannard's lawn with all that silly Chinese grass.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote:I ain't sent shit.
Please guys, DO NOT send shit. It wont get you any bamboo.
Sas you could plant that piece of bamboo in the backyard, and in 20 years sell all of that stuff to us losers :thumbsup:
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Alden wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:I ain't sent shit.
Please guys, DO NOT send shit. It wont get you any bamboo.
Sas you could plant that piece of bamboo in the backyard, and in 20 years sell all of that stuff to us losers :thumbsup:
I sent money.

I hope that helps.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I can't wish anything worse than paying for and receiving bamboo, so I'll just say, I hope everyone gets what they wish for. :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote:I can't wish anything worse than paying for and receiving bamboo, so I'll just say, I hope everyone gets what they wish for. :lol:
Thank you Todd, you are a veritable treasure trove of encouragement.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Tyler wrote: I sent money.

I hope that helps.
Finally something truly helpful from this thread :D
Alden

Post by Alden »

White Bamboo is here ! Not too bad, right around 2 weeks delivery time. It is very mixed on size and spacing of nodes. Some is really tight !
I have not dealt with much bamboo so I cant say anything to quality. There is a small amount that doesnt seem usable, and some that has enough usable stuff to get one or two pipes out of a piece. There is a fair amount of staining, some bug damage, some dings but a ton of good stuff too. What I dont really know is how much it will clean up.
So I took completely random pics showing the range and quality. I would consider it satisfactory, but you guys with more bamboo experience chime in because I dont really know what to expect.
As long as everyone okays it, I will order the black so hopefully 2 weeks on that and then I can get all the orders out.

Three completely random handfuls

Let me know what you guys think.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

ryan

those look great..they will clean up nice once we get them

i can hardly wait for mine to arrive....bug damage does not look too bad/... and even ugly bamboo can be nice....perfect natural product

james
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I think the bamboo looks good and am very glad to hear James endorsement. Let's order the black!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Alden

Post by Alden »

I should add, the only thing I am going to consciously divide is the really tight stuff. I'll try hard to make sure everyone gets at least one of the really tight pieces (theres not many of them) but after that I'll just deal them out like a deck of cards and it will be luck of the draw.
Except for the few exceptionally crappy pieces, which I intend to box up and send to Sasquatch free of charge. Just my way of saying "Thanks" for all his help.
mredmond
Site Supporter

bamboo

Post by mredmond »

Looks good to me. I'm one of those guys that likes a bit of mottling, weird spacing, etc, every now and again, so I was kind of hoping they weren't all perfect.