From fresh block to finished pipe in 3 hours.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
meathod

From fresh block to finished pipe in 3 hours.

Post by meathod »

I wanted to test out the long term viability of a pipe made from wood dried in the microwave. So I just slapped this pipe together from freshly harvested burl.

I've come up with a fairly foolproof drying method that I used here. I took the fresh burl and cut into slabs on the bandsaw. Then each slab was cut into pipe blanks. The pipe blanks are cut over sized to allow for warping and shrinkage. I noticed that this particular block shrank about 2mm in one direction, not too bad.

The wet blank is wrapped in paper towel and put into the microwave, set heat on lowest setting, microwave for a few minutes. Take the blank out and put under a bowl, the blank should be sizzling and steaming (if not, put back in), the paper towel will be moist. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Look at the amount of condensation on the inside of the bowl, then dry the bowl for next cool-down. After allowing to cool for 5 minutes, put back into the microwave for a few more minutes, repeat above steps. You know when it's done when you take the wood out and the paper towel is no longer moist, and there is less condensation on te inside of the bowl after cool-down. The wood will be warped slightly and feel dry. It takes about 15-20 minutes for a pipe blank to finish drying.

From what I gather, the microwave heats the lignin between the wood fibers so that the wood is able to shift without cracking. The paper towel covering allows the wood to stay in a humid environment while drying. Out of 5 pipe blanks, I noticed one minimal crack, about 4mm long, not bad.

So, here's how the pipe turned out a few hours later. I went with a padauk stem, and African Blackwood bowl insert. It's not perfect, this is my first time doing a "classic" shape.

Take a look at my pipe website!

http://www.dmpipes.com
Alden

Re: From fresh block to finished pipe in 3 hours.

Post by Alden »

I just tried the microwave to dry a small piece of curly koa yesterday. It turned out badly ! I could have swore I had heard to use 30 second bursts in the microwave.
Put the piece in for 30 seconds, took it out and dried it with a paper towel. Back in for 30 seconds, same thing. Back in for 30 seconds and halfway through smoke starts shooting out a tiny hole in the end of the block. After clearing the house of smoke, I started sanding on the block and found the entire center of the piece was charcoal !
I dont know what went wrong, but I think I'll just wait a year or two for my wood to air dry.
meathod

Post by meathod »

Are you sure you didn't accidentally make it into a pipe and then smoke it?

Alden

Post by Alden »

meathod wrote:Are you sure you didn't accidentally make it into a pipe and then smoke it?
Ha ! I'll take a pic on monday. The outside looked fine (except the tiny hole in the end with smoke pouring out. Cutting into it, literally everything inside the piece was coal. One cool thing though, the curl of the wood ran straight through the charcoal :lol: :lol:
I dont know what went wrong, but something did for sure. And that block was $$$ !
meathod

Post by meathod »

Hmm, Well maybe it wasn't as wet as it seemed? Were you microwaving it on high? And how long did you allow for a cool-down?

How big was the block?

From experiments that I did, A roughly 2x3x4" block won't take more than 30 seconds on high. And each time you have to allow a full 5 minutes for cool-down.

That sucks that it was an expensive block!! :(

BLC

Post by BLC »

Hi guys. First I'd like to start of by saying Meathod...huge fan of your work. Just love it. I'd enjoy a chat sometime about what you're using for inlay material. It Looks great and I think it would look great on my salad bowls.

Alden, A large part of my world is the wood turning guild I'm a part of and a very large part of that is drying wood. If you went to a few wood turning sites concerning bowl making and did a search on microwave drying you will find a ton of guys have already done the research. I'm in agreement with what Meathod said about the heat relaxing the lignin, it's the key to the whole thing. For details on this go check out steam bending. You'll find that approximately 212 degrees is all that's needed for this too work. Microwave on low should more than suffice. I'm not sure if anything I said helped, but wood can be dried with the microwave. :)

Dan
Alden

Post by Alden »

I'm not disagreeing with you guys, obviously microwaving works. I'm just saying for whatever reason my koa turned into charcoal :banghead: No clue what went wrong, but I didnt wait 5 minutes between cycles. Thats probably what caused it.