2012 Pipe In the Hat Trade

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
the rev

Re: 2012 Pipe In the Hat Trade

Post by the rev »

I like it Micah, seems like a rugged masculine pipe.

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Jesse, got your pipe and will PM you. WOOOO HOOOOO!
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
mredmond
Site Supporter

2012 Pipe In the Hat Trade

Post by mredmond »

Thanks, Rev! Hopefully it's new owner will find some enjoyment in it.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Heard back from D Marshall. Putting his pipe in the mail this morning. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
cmueller

Post by cmueller »

So my guy is in Slovakia, haha-awesome. Between $30 to $80 to ship, but it is what is is.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Almost done - sanded through the stem and need to refinish (ran out of 600, so only at 320). I am going to try to salvage this stem, but I may have to make a new one. We shall see.
The way to make people want to smoke your pipes is to develop a reputation for excellence in your work. This takes a lot of hard work and several years to accomplish, and there are no short cuts. You just have to keep at it. - Rad Davis
MonsieurLabo

Post by MonsieurLabo »

Finished, finally. Sorry for the crudy pictures.

Michael Labo
Massis

Post by Massis »

Heard from brewmaster that my pipe is in the mail.

Contacted Christian (through Rev), my pipe is leaving for Germany today if all goes well!
the rev

Post by the rev »

I have been a huge flake, mainly due to being ill, here are some better pictures of the pipe that I am sending to Scottie, I call her "Scottie's baby" but lets hope the real one is less ugly than this pipe

rev

d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Rev, that's a good lookin' pipe. The shaping on the bowl is especially good!
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Leus

Post by Leus »

On the bright side, I have a half-done cavalier pipe that I would never thought of trying. On the bad side, I'm really ashamed of not having let you know guys that I wasn't going to make it - but I really thought I was going to make it.

But you know, real life and all that.

All in all, I'm really sorry guys for dropping the ball on this one. Next year I'll just do the pipe first and subscribe after.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

im not part of the PITH this year but will be all it over next time round if you guys dont mind. just wanted to comment on rev's "scotties baby/blovalier". that is like the willy wonka of cool pipes. definitly has a wallenstein look but maybe thats just all the crazy happening. it definitely could have a few slight fixes but hey no pipe is perfect, i dig it alot and scottie is a lucky gal. there is to much birds eye for me to handle :notworthy: well done sir. look forward to joining next round.
the rev

Post by the rev »

thanks heaps, I am definitely inspired by Walle and Christian

rev

Gershom

Post by Gershom »

I'm already wanting to do this again... Could it be bi-annual???
the rev

Post by the rev »

I got Christian's pipe on Friday... I waited until Sunday to smoke it because I wanted to just have a nice, relaxing smoke with nothing else going on, and that is my Sunday afternoon pipe.

So, I poured myself a glass of scotch, and loaded the pipe with some Northwoods...

this pipe smokes so damn good. It is so cool of a smoke that sometimes I had to look down and see if it was still smoke because it didn't feel even the slightest bit warm. Big open draw, man, this pipe is awesome. And when I am not smoking it... it sits on the mantel in our living room because its a sculpture too. Lucky man am I

rev

Massis

Post by Massis »

I've had brewmaster's pipe for a while, but hadn't yet found the time to review it on the forum.

So Adam, here goes:

First of all: I've never seen an item being packed so well, the pipe was wrapped in bubble wrap, put in a plastic container, that was wrapped in bubble wrap aswell, and the whole of that was stuffed in a box full of styrofoam! I've even seen delicate electrical components being shipped a lot less carefull!
(btw: the plastic container is now doubling as a seedling box for this years tobacco plants :-P )

Then on to the pipe. She looks stunning. The blast is light but very nicely done, the stem lines up perfectly and is very shiny and well finished. The bowl is a bit small, which means the upper edge is really thin.
This pipe looks like a "regular" cavalier, but in fact is some kind of calebash system, as the entire shank is drilled to about 1/3", only narrowing at the top and bottom due to the brass (?) endcaps.

I really wasn't sure how she'd smoke because of this, but I have to say, it's a nice smoker. No gurgling, a nice and dry smoke, though getting slightly hot with the thin walled chamber.
And although the stem is very well made and finished, the buttons is a bit oversized for my mouth. I prefer thinner buttons with rounded edges, but this is ofcourse a matter of preference and in no way a comment on the craftsmanship.

I took her with me to a meeting of the dutch pipesmokers forum (56 attending, biggest meeting so far) and she got plenty of positive comments!

All in all a very nice pipe and a beautiful addition to my collection! Thanks Adam!
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Tri-annual???!!! :mrgreen:
Brewmaster

Post by Brewmaster »

Thanks Massis for the feedback. I did freak out somewhat when i found out i was shipping overseas. I did make this pipe with myself in mind. I like a smaller bowl but i will make sure in the future to leave more briar around it. I would say buttons really are the hardest thing about making pipe for me. Not sure about everyone else but i don't clench pipes in my teeth. I always hold them in my hand. I find how they feel in my hand is almost more important than how they look. I was thinking that on my next pipe of not including a button at all. I'm sure that would be breaking some ancient rule of the Fraternal Order of Briar Cutters but its just a hobby for me and i only make pipes for myself so they can get over it. Thanks again.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I'm still waiting for feedback from Christian :-(

I mailed him last week to see if he's had a chance to smoke it (it's been over 2 months...), but haven't heard back from him yet...
the rev

Post by the rev »

now don't be hasty master masis, Christian is an ent, and in entish nothing is said unless it takes a long time to say it :)

sometimes he won't answer my emails for months too. I am sure he will get back to you

rev